Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Issue when trying to play certain games
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:31 pm 

Good day, I noticed this issue a while ago with several different games, but never remembered to ask about it. Today while trying to play Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, Nexus kept preventing me from going into fullscreen mode. If I played in Windowed mode, the game works, however, once I switch to Fullscreen, the screen would flash, minimize the game, the dock would appear about half sized in the middle left side of the screen, then would revert to its normal position. If I Exit Nexus, the game works perfectly. Is there any way to resolve this? Thanks in advance.

Using Windows 10....

Post subject: Re: Issue when trying to play certain games
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Apologies, looks like I overlooked your post. Any chance of making a video of this (e.g.; with your cell phone) and then uploading it to Youtube?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:38 pm 

No need to apologize. I uploaded the video, you can view it here. Thanks for responding.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the video. Any particular reason audio only starts in the game after closing Nexus?

Anyway, let's try the following: download THIS file, unzip and run foretester.exe

This will tell us what window is grabbing the focus.

Launch the game from Nexus and wait until the game forcibly returns to the desktop and everything goes back to their normal positions. Take a screenshot of the contents of the foretester window and post it here, please.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:37 pm 

Ok done.

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 481.17 KiB | Viewed 13926 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, you click on ForeTester, then you click on the dock (NxDock) to open the Grid Stack (Shelf), then you click on the Grid Stack to launch the game which first opens a Command Line (cmd) window, this window closes which automatically passes focus to the window that had it previously (the Grid Stack), the Grid Stack closes which automatically passes focus to the window that had it previously (ForeTester) then focus is given back to the dock (not sure why?).

The Guilty Gear window finally opens (and apparently changes screen resolution) and then, 7 seconds later and for some unknown reason at this point, the invisible Nexus Ultimate control window (WorkShelf) grabs the focus away from the game (or is given the focus by *something*) which minimizes it and returns you to the desktop and back to your native screen resolution.

Why the invisible Nexus Ultimate main control window grabs the focus is still a mystery to me at this point. For comparison, I just opened the Witcher 3 from my Shelf here and quit the game after a few seconds - I only get three entries in the Foreground tester: the Shelf, Witcher 3 and back to the Shelf after having quit from the game.

I will have to try to figure out what situations might cause the control window to get the focus.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:35 pm 

It has happened to me over the course of several months with a few games, though I can't remember which ones caused the issue. I should also say, I've been using Nexus for just over a year and never had this issue until a couple months ago. Maybe it's an issue with an update?

Thanks again for your assistance, it's really appreciated. I should also note, my monitor is a TV displaying 3840 x 2160 (4K) and the game runs at 1080p

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try the following: open Preferences, go to the General tab, check 'disable multi-monitor profiles'. Press Ok and try running the game again. Did that make any difference?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:42 pm 

I tried it, but it didn't work. Sorry, I forgot to respond to the audio question. I have no issues with audio, that's how the game normally starts with the audio at the title screen.

I attached a screenshot, don't know if it has changed.

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 169.18 KiB | Viewed 13920 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you running any other Windows customization applications that might be interfering with the Winstep application?

For instance, another user had an issue with Winstep Xtreme after his PC resumed from sleep which was apparently caused by Display Fusion Pro.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:23 pm 

Sorry, I just noticed that you replied. Now that you mention it, I have a second display connected to the same TV. The reason for this is because I use an Onkyo receiver for audio and I have an HDMI cable connected to that and outputted to the TV solely for audio, because the 4K signal is unreliable, so I have a direct connection to the TV as well for 4K.

Hope that makes sense. Lol

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]