Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Renewal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:13 am 

On Dec 28, I renewed my Winstep Xtreme subscription, as my old one had expired on Dec 11.
I got a receipt and an email confirmation that my payment had been made etc.
After a few days, I was still getting a reminder to renew my sub. I emailed support about it at the time, but I have not had a response.
The reminders to renew disappeared, even though, according to the settings, my subscription had finished on Dec 11.
I did not get a key with the renewal confirmation, which said

"REGISTRATION RECEIPT & KEY
Winstep Xtreme Subscription Renewal

****SINGLE USER LICENSE****

Thank you for purchasing Winstep Xtreme!

THIS LICENSE KEY IS VALID FOR ALL Winstep Xtreme applications and
updates released, or to be released, until December 28 2023.

Your purchase of Winstep Xtreme entitles you to free updates for a
period of 1 (ONE) year from the date of purchase. Once this period
expires, you can, at any time, renew your one-year subscription of
Winstep Xtreme updates for only $24.95."

Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.

Neil :-)

Post subject: Re: Renewal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:41 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TazR6 wrote:
On Dec 28, I renewed my Winstep Xtreme subscription, as my old one had expired on Dec 11.
After a few days, I was still getting a reminder to renew my sub. I emailed support about it at the time, but I have not had a response.
The reminders to renew disappeared, even though, according to the settings, my subscription had finished on Dec 11.

Generally, any issues concerning the sale of Winstep apps licenses and their delivery should be addressed to BMT Micro as they are the actual resellers. Confirmation of payment and delivery of the license key are fully automated processes triggered by successful payment and happen almost instantaneously.

However, your case of a 'lost'/missing key file seems most unusual. What this actually suggests to me is that your AV or similar software may have stripped the key file attachment out, wrongly considering it malicious, and put it in quarantine. I therefore suggest that you check your AV quarantine folder as a first next step and then report back here. (Support by email at Winstep is somewhat delayed currently due to a considerable backlog and Winstep being a one-man operation.)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:19 am 

nexter wrote:
TazR6 wrote:

Generally, any issues concerning the sale of Winstep apps licenses and their delivery should be addressed to BMT Micro as they are the actual resellers. Confirmation of payment and delivery of the license key are fully automated processes triggered by successful payment and happen almost instantaneously.

However, your case of a 'lost'/missing key file seems most unusual. What this actually suggests to me is that your AV or similar software may have stripped the key file attachment out, wrongly considering it malicious, and put it in quarantine. I therefore suggest that you check your AV quarantine folder as a first next step and then report back here. (Support by email at Winstep is somewhat delayed currently due to a considerable backlog and Winstep being a one-man operation.)

Hi.

Thank you for the reply. My AV quarantine is empty, thank you for that suggestion as I would not have thought of it myself.
All previous keys have come through fine, so not sure why there should be an issue now.
This is my first time of renewing my subscription, as last year (Dec 11 2021) was my first year of buying it. I assumed that the same key I am using already would simply be renewed rather than a new key being issued. I received a receipt and a renewal confirmation. The renewal confirmation email suggests a key would be present, but as there wasn't one I just thought my original one was ok.

What do I do now if Support will take awhile to catch up?

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:27 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TazR6 wrote:
nexter wrote:

Hi.

Thank you for the reply. My AV quarantine is empty, thank you for that suggestion as I would not have thought of it myself.
All previous keys have come through fine, so not sure why there should be an issue now.
This is my first time of renewing my subscription, as last year (Dec 11 2021) was my first year of buying it. I assumed that the same key I am using already would simply be renewed rather than a new key being issued. I received a receipt and a renewal confirmation. The renewal confirmation email suggests a key would be present, but as there wasn't one I just thought my original one was ok.

What do I do now if Support will take awhile to catch up?

Thanks again,

OK, so we've eliminated that then. It might be possible that your AV's anti-spam module if it has one or a separate anti-spam utility could have wrongly considered the attachment as spam and stripped it out, although that would be quite rare I think. Unlikely as it may seem, there could be a remote possibility that your email provider's anti-spam filters might have considered the attachment spam and stripped it out - happened to me with a perfectly legit attachment some years ago.

In any event, I think at this point you should take the matter up with BMT Micro's support. I shall also try and contact Jorge Coelho - the sole coder and owner of Winstep - about this issue myself.

One way or another, you will get your renewal licence in the end. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:10 pm 

I obviously will never know if Gmail ever has filtered out and prevented me from getting something I was not expecting to get, but, I have never not got something I was expecting, including licence keys for Winstep etc, in the past. I can pretty much safely say that nothing has been stripped out.
I will follow your suggestion and contact BMT Micro about the issue. Thank you for trying to contact the developer on my behalf too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:26 pm 

Hi Nexter.

Did you do something on your end? It is now registered correctly until Dec 28, 2023.
I emailed BMT Micro, but they have yet to open it, so it cannot have been them doing something.
Anyway, whatever happened, it is sorted now.

Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:56 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TazR6 wrote:
Hi Nexter.

Did you do something on your end? It is now registered correctly until Dec 28, 2023.
I emailed BMT Micro, but they have yet to open it, so it cannot have been them doing something.

Nope, nothing I could do at my end I'm afraid. I rather suspect you must have unzipped the attachment, deleted it from your email and at some point used it as per instructions but just plain forgot about it, or something like that? Can happen to all of us. :)

Anyway, glad it's sorted and working. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:15 am 

nexter wrote:
TazR6 wrote:
Hi Nexter.

Nope, nothing I could do at my end I'm afraid. I rather suspect you must have unzipped the attachment, deleted it from your email and at some point used it as per instructions but just plain forgot about it, or something like that? Can happen to all of us. :)

Anyway, glad it's sorted and working. :D

I've no idea what happened, but I am glad it did lol.
Thank you again,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:17 am 

buraak, I am glad it is not just me. At least I know I have not gone mad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:15 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TazR6 wrote:
buraak, I am glad it is not just me. At least I know I have not gone mad.

Actually, that was a spammer - inserted spam link inside quoting you. :/ Barstewards.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]