Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: WARNING: Asus GPU Tweak II crashes other applications
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you are running Asus GPU Tweak II and your Winstep application (or other 32 bit applications) suddenly crashes without warning - and keeps crashing with various errors even after restarting it - then the cause is most likely the OSD/monitor feature of GPU Tweak II.

Asus GPU Tweak II inserts the GTII-OSD.dll into the process space of every running 32 bit application and this DLL seems to be extremely buggy. Under certain conditions (which I haven't figured out what they are yet and probably never will because I have already replaced that piece of trash with MSI Afterburner) the DLL decides to go haywire for a while. In this state the application will keep crashing even after restarting it.

Because the DLL has been inserted into the process of every running 32 bit application, when it crashes it brings down the HOST application with it, i.e.; although it *looks* like it's the application's fault, the REAL culprit is GPU Tweak II.

Here I saw it bring down Outlook 2003, AIDA64 and WorkShelf all in one go.

Although it seems that crashes only happen when the GPU Tweak II *monitor* is running, the best solution is to get rid of Asus GPU Tweak II altogether and use something a lot better and far more stable like MSI Afterburner.

Asus - yet another company with great hardware but crappy software (don't even get me started talking about Asus Aura Sync).

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: WARNING: Asus GPU Tweak II crashes other applications
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:28 pm 

I had issues with asus aura sync then I downloaded it from here and followed this guide to fix the issue. I really wonder why asus can't fix their software issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:31 am 

Hi Jorge, I've been waiting for your return. I'm having a similar problem. Please see this thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11745

I remember you telling someone to use a program to monitor what was making Winstep crash. Please tell me what program it is and how to use it.

I've had MS on my PC remotely numerous times but the problem isn't yet solved.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:26 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
Hi Jorge, I've been waiting for your return. I'm having a similar problem. Please see this thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11745

I remember you telling someone to use a program to monitor what was making Winstep crash. Please tell me what program it is and how to use it.

I've had MS on my PC remotely numerous times but the problem isn't yet solved.

Alas, Windy, it doesn't look like Jorge is in any great hurry to get back. (He hasn't even been logging in here for quite a while, alas.) I'd suggest you wait till he does actually reappear here - giving him a bit of space as there's already tons of stuff for him to catch up with - and then repeat this post, perhaps in a new thread.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:24 am 

I later noticed that his post wasn't recent. I decided to leave it since I assume it will alert him via email because he was the OP in hopes that he will respond.

I hope he returns soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:16 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
I later noticed that his post wasn't recent. I decided to leave it since I assume it will alert him via email because he was the OP in hopes that he will respond.

I hope he returns soon.

And so say all of us! :) Let's hope Jorge will recover from/get over whatever it is and will be well real soon.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]