Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Correction of recycler icon text?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:47 am 

Is it possible to change how the recycler displays the usage?

I'm not sure if this is theme specific, but all themes I've tried so far that displayed how much space is used by the trash can, reads "Mb" (Megabit) instead of MB (Megabyte). E.g: "Using 10,28 Mb".

Post subject: Re: Correction of recycler icon text?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Since specifying the size of items in the trash can in megabits would make absolutely no sense, I would say you can safely assume that 'Mb' there actually means Megabytes and not Megabits. :wink:

Of course, no contest to the fact that is the type of thing capable of driving anyone's OCD through the roof. :P

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:43 am 

winstep wrote:
Since specifying the size of items in the trash can in megabits would make absolutely no sense, I would say you can safely assume that 'Mb' there actually means Megabytes and not Megabits. :wink:

Of course, no contest to the fact that is the type of thing capable of driving anyone's OCD through the roof. :P

That's great, and I understand what the creator intended even if they didn't understand better.

You can safely assume that I want to fix it, thus the question - that you didn't answer. Wink.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can't fix it, it's hard coded into the application. Been that way for, oh, 19 years now? Guess back then people still didn't make a distinction between Mb and MB, at least not like we do now. Can't remember anymore, it's been too long. :)

Anyway, you can't fix it, but I can. :P You'll get your KB, MB and GB in the next release.

...and congrats, in all these years you're the first to complain about it! :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:38 pm 

winstep wrote:
You can't fix it, it's hard coded into the application. Been that way for, oh, 19 years now? Guess back then people still didn't make a distinction between Mb and MB, at least not like we do now. Can't remember anymore, it's been too long. :)

Anyway, you can't fix it, but I can. :P You'll get your KB, MB and GB in the next release.

That's great - thank you so much!

I'm probably the first to complain because I work with tech and translations.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:29 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:

Several of us did raise it yonks and yonks ago, ISTR... And I've been meaning to raise this issue but there've been far more important things. :) Anyway, it's not just the trash, it's throught wherever sizes are quoted, e.g., RAM module, NET Mod., etc.

The distinction between b(its) and B(ytes) has always been a vital one, at least to some of us... :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think back then it was more normal to use 'MB/Mb' for Megabytes and 'Mbits' for Megabits. Again, it's been too long. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:57 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
I think back then it was more normal to use 'MB/Mb' for Megabytes and 'Mbits' for Megabits. Again, it's been too long. :)

:) Nah, at least, outside the Windows world we always distinguished Mb and MB etc. - I suppose in the Windows world it wasn't really that important perhaps, given how primitive PCs were until about the mid-90s, and given that 8MB of RAM was considered quite outrageously extravagant. :P Of course, in the Unix world inc. NeXT we commonly had 32MB - 256MB and even up to 4GB, and do. even in the Amiga realm, and more when the first 64-bit Sun, Irix and Alpha workstations came along... And disk storage saw a similar situation vis-a-vis Win PCs v. *nix boxes.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:16 am 

To add insult to injury, in the Darktech theme of the network monitor, the arrow up is downstream and the arrow down is upstream. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

FirstAidPoetry wrote:
To add insult to injury, in the Darktech theme of the network monitor, the arrow up is downstream and the arrow down is upstream. :-)

Ahah, Gawd, you're killing me! :P

Guess it looked better that way? I didn't make that theme. :)

That one you can fix yourself though, just edit the WsNet.png bitmap and switch the direction of the arrows, or, alternatively, edit the darktech.wsn configuration file and switch the NetBarYpos01 and NetYPos04 coordinates with the NetBarYpos02 and NetYPos05 coordinates.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:30 am 

nexter wrote:
And I've been meaning to raise this issue but there've been far more important things. :)

Yeah, like the thing that must not be named. It WAS coming, now things have been silent on that front for a while.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:25 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

vectornut wrote:
nexter wrote:
And I've been meaning to raise this issue but there've been far more important things. :)

Yeah, like the thing that must not be named. It WAS coming, now things have been silent on that front for a while.

Yes, indeed, it was too.... And about 4 months on I'm also still waiting to hear about a certain vertical/horizontal menu titlebar problem.... :)

I wonder what the odds are that when the thing that must not be named finally does see the light of a screen, PCs (of any kind) will have 'died out' and everybody's left but nobody's been arsed to tell Jorge? ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]