Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Virtual Desktops and Systray
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:43 pm 

Jorge, I know you don't specifically support virtual desktops such as Dexpot, but you or somebody who uses it might be able to answer this question for me.

I use Dexpot to run 4 virtual desktops. I find it easier to have multiple apps that I use in conjunction with each other open on separate desktops than to minimize and restore multiple apps as I switch between tasks.

While it would be nice if there were a way to tell Winstep to place some elements on all virtual desktops if they exist, I understand that you don't have the time to delve into other software to figure out how to make that happen, and have no plans of implementing virtual desktops as part of Winstep.

Dexpot does support copying a given process to multiple desktops, and I use this to get the most essential elements (for me) of Winstep on all 4 desktops. To this end, I copy NxTasklist (which automatically also copies NxStartbar) and WsClock to all 4 desktops. What I can't figure out how to copy is the systray. It remains on whichever virtual desktop was active when Winstep or Dexpot starts (usually the first, since I usually never exit and restart Winstep, Winstep starts before Dexpot on system boot, and the first desktop is the active one when Dexpot starts). How might I go about getting the systray to show up on all desktops? Which Winstep process embeds the systray in the startbar?

TLDR: running virtual desktops, how do I get the systray to show up on all desktops?

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Virtual Desktops and Systray
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're using window captions/titles to identify windows, but the systray has a blank/empty caption.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:00 am 

winstep wrote:
You're using window captions/titles to identify windows, but the systray has a blank/empty caption.

Well, Dexpot is, anyway. That's the option I have for copying things to multiple desktops.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:54 am 

Hi,

New to the forums and just browsing round. This thread interested me. I use dexpot too and just upgraded to a new rig and win 10 pro. Dexpot works "ok" on win 10, but it's basically a dead project. I wish someone would pick it up or make something else that functioned like it. I love using the virtual desktop functionality for my daily tasks, which are many.

Sorry I don't have insight related to your issue. I'm just snooping.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:13 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I know it's not the same as the feature-laden Dexpot, but maybe Windows 10's built-in virtual desktop can tide you over.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use- ... indows-10/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:17 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DesertDwarf wrote:
I know it's not the same as the feature-laden Dexpot, but maybe Windows 10's built-in virtual desktop can tide you over.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use- ... indows-10/

In fact, I'd argue that the built-in VD is better than Dexpot. I found the latter very unstable, and what's more, it majorly f**ks up your desktop icons every time you use it. Which is a major annoyance as I keep a few desktop icons for when I start up Windows or need to run with minimum activity and therefore without Winstep.

The Windows 10 VD basically works much like those under most Linux desktops - under Win, you hit an icon on the taskbar (or wherever you want if you're using Winstep), and under Lin you hit a hotspot (top left corner) for a preview of operative VDs.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:43 am 

I hide my desktop icons, so that isn't an issue for me. What I like about Dexpot is having a representation of each desktop along the edge of the screen. It only shows an icon for whichever application is active, but I still prefer it to having to click an icon and THEN choose which desktop I want to switch to.

I did accidentally find a way to get the systray on all desktops. Collapse and then expand the NextSTART taskbar.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:51 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Try holding Windows and pressing Tab. Does that help?

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]