Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: NextSTART and WorkShelf System Tray Display Problem
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:04 pm 

I've noticed for quite some time now that NextSTART and WorkShelf won't show at the same time anymore in the system tray area. Was hoping that betas would fix it.

Until about a week ago when I manually opened WorkShelf to try to put it back, only NextSTART was showing. Since then, only WorkShelf shows.

Now I can't open NextSTART, even when I exited Xtreme and reopened it. I haven't restarted the PC because I have a lot of things open that I'm working on.

BTW, I'm using the Win10 taskbar, not the Winstep one. To try to open NextSTART I'm using the start menu method. I forgot the key press combo for both of them since I'm accustomed to using the system tray to open them.

I also tried turning off/on the system tray setting in Win10 for both and WorkShelf still displays even when it's turned off! :?

Post subject: Re: NextSTART and WorkShelf System Tray Display Problem
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Now I can't open NextSTART, even when I exited Xtreme and reopened it.

If you set NextSTART *not* to run at Windows startup then it won't run either when you launch Winstep Xtreme from the Winstep Xtreme icon.

You need to launch NextSTART individually from its own icon in the Start Menu (or from C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\).

Windy wrote:
I also tried turning off/on the system tray setting in Win10 for both and WorkShelf still displays even when it's turned off! :?

I just tried it here and if I clear 'Show WorkShelf icon in the system tray' then the WorkShelf icon does NOT show in the system tray (and is removed when I press OK in Preferences), not even when I restart Winstep Xtreme.

It's working as expected, so not sure what is going on there.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:02 pm 

Both set to run at startup and NextSTART is running but just wouldn't open the menu.

Okay, got it to work using C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\. Not sure if it worked before or after I used Run as administrator because I didn't realize that it showed up.

I thought it was still WorkShelf. They didn't display side by side like they usually do. One was hidden and the other wasn't. I was just about to ask you to make different icons to make it easy to differentiate between the two, but now noticed they are different.

Being that the icons are so small in the system tray and both are the same color, I never noticed they were different. If you have the time and it isn't too much of a hassle, how about making them different colors that stand out?

:idea: How about applying the Nexus Control Icon Color feature to them? That would be awesome!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Not sure if it worked before or after I used Run as administrator because I didn't realize that it showed up.

DO NOT RUN either NextSTART or WorkShelf as Admin, unless you want to see your system p0wned in less time than it takes you to say 'what have I done?!'

Not only will drag & drop from Explorer to the Winstep application stop working (because of UIPI) as ANYTHING launched from an elevated application runs itself elevated, with FULL access to your system. It's a HUGE security risk!

There is NO INSTANCE where you need to launch either NextSTART or WorkShelf with admin privileges!!!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:34 pm 

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I closed Winstep and reopened. That should resolve the Run as admin matter right?

Jorge, what about "Being that the (NextSTART and WorkShelf) icons are so small in the system tray and both are the same color, I never noticed they were different. If you have the time and it isn't too much of a hassle, how about making them different colors that stand out?

:idea: How about applying the Nexus Control Icon Color feature to them? That would be awesome!!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nope. Icons are different enough, get some reading glasses Windy! :wink: :P :D

You can also use the built-in tray icon customization to change them yourself.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:44 pm 

Do mean MS or Winstep built-in tray icon customization? Remember, I'm using the Win10 taskbar, not Winstep.

In case you forgot, I can't use the Winstep taskbar because I'm using T-Clock Redux (a third-party system tray clock program) which is a Win10 replacement version of Stoic Joker's T-Clock 2010 which worked on MS versions 7 and 8.

Unfortunately, T-Clock programs cannot work with the Winstep taskbar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We all have to make choices in life. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]