Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Workshelf/dock pop-up delay
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:08 am 

When I have no windows open, i.e. the desktop only, the shelf and dock (which are set to auto hide) are slow to react when I bump the screen edge to show them, and slow to auto hide when I move the mouse away or click on the desktop. Same thing when a window is not maximized and I can see the desktop behind it.

If there is a maximized window(s), the shelf and dock pop up instantly (I have the activation set to zero seconds). The behavior is consistent and toggles with the circumstances:

- show desktop, and Winstep reacts slowly and the animations lag
- maximize any window, and Winstep behaves as expected

Not sure exactly when this started, but it is fairly recent - perhaps it is related to a Windows update? I am using Windows 10 64-bit.

Very frustrating. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Workshelf/dock pop-up delay
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How long has this been happening to you? Pity you only reported it today, as I am about to release v19.2.

Anyway, I also run Windows 10 64 bit and I don't see this behavior here. Nobody else has reported any problems either, at least not so far.

So, first thing: what version of Winstep Xtreme are you running (top right corner of About tab in Preferences)?

Second: I don't think this has anything to do with it as otherwise the dock would simply not react *at all*, but lets try one thing. Open Preferences, go to the Advanced tab, click Power Saving Settings. Enable the 'Activate on full screen application' setting and also enable the 'Full screen application' audio notification. Click the Test Voice button to make sure the voices are being heard, click Ok to close the dialog and Ok to close Preferences.

Do you hear 'Power Saving Mode Enabled' just before the dock starts reacting slowly to screen edge activations?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:45 am 

I'm using winstep extreme version 18.12. As I said, I'm not sure when it started but, I assume it is in the last week. Maybe just started today… I cannot be positive. I just know it couldn't of been going on too long because it's very annoying, and I would have noticed.

I followed your instructions, and the voice notification for power mode enabled was not announced when I did an edge bump. I am also not using a laptop, just a standard PC.

I think I have done a reboot, but I'm going to try that now, and I will follow-up in a few minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I wouldn't be surprised if a reboot fixed it. Don't forget to reset the Power Saving settings.

Also, v18.12 was released back in December, and two months later I had zero complaints about anything similar to that.

If it happens again, check out CPU usage, etc... perhaps something else is hogging the CPU?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:04 am 

A reboot fixed it. So sorry for wasting your time Jorge.

I think maybe it had something to do with using Dragon NaturallySpeaking dictation software (which I'm using right now to create this post). I think cycling the headset on and off, putting the computer in and out of sleep mode, etc., causes Dragon to build up enough kludge in temp files that it eventually impacts the overall performance, although the CPU usage does not support that hypothesis. Oh well, what do I know.

Thanks again Jorge, your speedy replies always amaze me, because as far as I can tell you seem to be a one-man shop. I hope your stellar efforts on this awesome program have made you wealthy man, you deserve it.

Looking forward to version 19.2.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

steelydanfan wrote:
I hope your stellar efforts on this awesome program have made you wealthy man, you deserve it.

Ahah, thanks, I wished. Unfortunately I suck at marketing. :)

steelydanfan wrote:
Looking forward to version 19.2.

Out already. :)

Either wait for the Winstep Update Manager to pick it up automatically within the next 24 hours, or click the 'Check for Updates' button in Preferences.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]