Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Can you upgrade to Network later? Can you make Themes?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:24 pm 

Firstly, this software is addictive! I am doing the free trial and I have collected many themes. I see that the top version comes with free dock files.

My question is about making Winstep themes and sharing them. What are the rules about copyright and can you create a Winstep file to share with WinstepXtreme? Can you make them to just use yourself or for family and friends? And the next question, can you upgrade from the single license to family network license later on?

I am trying to save up for a MIDI controller, and it is unclear to me which purchase I will make first. It should be a no brainer, take care of getting the MIDI first. But this trial is spoiling me. I really am not sure my family will like it as much as me. But I would like to make them themes and upgrade to the network plan if they do try it and like it.

Post subject: Re: Can you upgrade to Network later? Can you make Themes?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:48 pm 

I have themes that did not come with a background. Can I add a background and save the file so that it loads with a background in the future?

If I set up the desktop for my daughter with her background and choice of modules, could I save a Winstep theme for her so that she could put this on her laptop and reload it after trying other themes???

If I learned to make custom docks and such, how would I save that so I wasn't loading things piece by piece every time to change my desktop?

Are these save and export choices available in the paid version?

If these things can not be done and I am just to load the themes of others as they are, love it or leave it, this is not suitable for my family.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Get your MIDI controller, you can upgrade to Home Network later. Just send an email to Winstep support. :)

If you want to distribute your own themes, feel free, but anything that wasn't made by you and you want to include on a theme you must ask permission from the original author first. If it's only for personal use, you can do whatever you want. :)

You can add a background to existing themes that do not have a background. Just save the file as 'wallpaper.jpg' or 'wallpaper.png'.

You should wait for the upcoming Winstep Theme Builder if you want to make your own stuff, though, otherwise you will have to learn about editing configuration files, what all the settings do, etc... very time consuming.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:54 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RitaCeleste wrote:
I have themes that did not come with a background. Can I add a background and save the file so that it loads with a background in the future?

If I set up the desktop for my daughter with her background and choice of modules, could I save a Winstep theme for her so that she could put this on her laptop and reload it after trying other themes???

If I learned to make custom docks and such, how would I save that so I wasn't loading things piece by piece every time to change my desktop?

Are these save and export choices available in the paid version?

If these things can not be done and I am just to load the themes of others as they are, love it or leave it, this is not suitable for my family.

There's always a way - or even more than one way! - to skin a cat. ;) To save a given set-up for a given theme, you can use 'Backup Workshelf' and 'Backup NextSTART' (if using Xtreme), and alter the file names to something easily identifiable (not the extension though, i.e., .wbk and .nbk!). The theme itself (which is basically all the gfx etc.) will also have to be saved separately - simply copy all the theme's files from its folder in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Winstep\Themes and zip them up, giving the zip file the same name as the theme. Copy this zip file to the intended machine's C:\Users\Public\Documents\Winstep\Autoinstall folder, and the respective .wbk and .nbk files to the intended machine's C:\Users\Public\Documents\Winstep\Backups folder. Go to the destination system (use remote desktop if you can), start up Winstep - which will then automagically install the theme - and then in Workshelf use 'Restore WS' and then in NextSTART use 'Restore NS' and this will restore all the saved settings.

All of this sounds far more complicated than it is - it's quite simple really. As I use several different setups in separate user accounts, I tend to do this sort of thing quite frequently as I create themes. Anyway, HTH. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]