Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Access Violation Error in v19.2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:27 am 

It may be, but I wasn't able to find any errors listed there, just warnings, and nothing that was clearly from Nexus (other than the windows message prompt when it crashed).

Unless there's something specific I should be searching for to find the matching event, I'll probably need to wait for it to crash again.

Sometimes it doesn't happen for a while, and sometimes it does.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You probably know this already, but you will find those entries in the 'Applications' section of the Event log, not the 'System' section.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:44 pm 

Crashed again today. It seems to be crashing silently for me.

Error message on the screen when it crashes, but nothing in application logs related to Nexus.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:29 am 

Jorge, I'm asking because I've never run JUST Nexus. If a person is JUST running Nexus, how does it show up in Task Manager?

I don't have anything called Nexus in my Task Manager, even though it is running. I just have Nextstart and Workshelf. If I exit Workshelf, Nexus also closes.

My thought is that maybe he's looking for the wrong thing in Event Viewer and that's why he can't find it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:39 pm 

vectornut wrote:
Jorge, I'm asking because I've never run JUST Nexus. If a person is JUST running Nexus, how does it show up in Task Manager?

I don't have anything called Nexus in my Task Manager, even though it is running. I just have Nextstart and Workshelf. If I exit Workshelf, Nexus also closes.

My thought is that maybe he's looking for the wrong thing in Event Viewer and that's why he can't find it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not it at all. I'm aware of which processes Winstep uses (NexusUltimate.exe in my case). I have been looking for the other processes Winstep uses as well when I check logs, but so far none of them show up in event viewer at all when it crashes.

The errors appear in the on-screen error window only.

EDIT: Are there any debug logs stored by the program itself somewhere, separate from the Windows Event viewer?

Last edited by Nemogalactic on Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've seen the opposite happen (silent crash with no error message) but I have never seen an app crash without the corresponding entry in the event log.

However, that might happen if you click Cancel in the error trapper, since that simply exits the application. Are you clicking Retry or Cancel?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:50 pm 

I always click cancel and then restart it, because memory access violations aren't something I want to mess around with.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, that probably explains it. :)

Anyway, memory access violation simply mean the application tried to access memory (in it's own process space) it shouldn't, and was stopped dead on its tracks. Nothing is corrupted and normally it happens because of a bad/invalid memory pointer or attempting to use a variable/memory that has already been freed.

Since we don't know exactly *what* is crashing (the memory addresses tell us nothing because we don't know which modules/dlls are loaded there), try to see if there is a pattern or a 'trigger'. Also, what is common to those two machines?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:16 am 

Crashed when starting Windows today

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, that happening randomly doesn't help either... could be anything, from a true bona fide bug to bad drivers to bad hardware/overclock.

Doubt it's a bug though, as otherwise it would be reproducible/follow a reproducible pattern.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:57 am 

From time to time I also have the access violation error on workshelf. The METAR code was KNYC. I deleted it, let's see what happens now.

Greetings from Germany
Petra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I never did understand what was actually causing the problem, although I know it is related to SSL encryption required to access HTTPS sites (NOOA info is now only accessible via HTTPS). That encryption is provided by a 3rd party DLL.

I contacted the company responsible for the DLL but they didn't have a clue either. All I know is that it only happens in SOME systems - and actually it seems that most of the affected systems are German versions of Windows, but not all.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:05 am 

Hi Jorge,

deleting the code seems to help.
Did you mean with a third party dll another software installed on the computer? If so, here's an idea. At the same time with the access violation error in workshelf I got a problem with photoshop cc and camera raw which I never had before.Opening a photo in photoshop, camera raw reacts very,very slow.
After doing a research in internet I find the reason and the solution: Acronis True Image 2020, which I installed after WinstepXtreme. After adding photoshop.exe to the whitelist of the Active Protection module in Acronis True Image, camera raw runs and works as before. I'm not a programmer, but possibly there is a context?
Herzliche Grüße
Petra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:33 pm 

This problem happens to me in both Chrome and Firefox. It is a search for a specific certificate. Just clicking cancel stops the problem for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:26 pm 

alkolkin wrote:
This problem happens to me in both Chrome and Firefox. It is a search for a specific certificate. Just clicking cancel stops the problem for me.

I wonder what problem we are talking about? It would be interesting to understand.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next