Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: New SSD, how to restore profile and settings
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:27 am 

Hey all, installed a new operating system, i got a pretty much full image of my previous SSD so i have access to all files needed, but i cannot log into that drives operating system so i cannot backup via the backup tool

i shut down all instances of workshelf.exe

restored
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Winstep
from the old ssd backup to the new one

but it seems to load the default fresh installed profile and not mine, any idea what i could do?

Post subject: Re: New SSD, how to restore profile and settings
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:56 am 

winstep stores its configuration in windows registry, so without booting up your old OS there is no way to restore it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:06 pm 

As Seeker mentions Winstep holds its config data in the Windows Registry, so the best thing to do is to make a backup of this after any significant changes to your taskbar / dock / workshelf configurations using the Winstep maintenance facilities in the Preferences controls. Then make a copy (backup) of the file in another location e.g. external drive.

Assuming that you haven't done that then you MAY be able to recover the Winstep configuration if you still have access to the pre-rebuild windows registry file on your backup image.

I've never tried this so the normal caveats / disclaimers apply, and YMMV.

You can import the original registry into Regedit and then theoretically export the Winstep configuration branch. Re-open Regedit to get the current registry, and then theoretically import the previously exported branch.

I say theoretically as there are a number of potential dependencies, for example:
  1. A lot of the config data is held in \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WinSTEP2000 but I don't know if there is any in other registry locations (not concerned about application setup data which should be configured during application install anyway).
  2. Any changes to drive / file structure during reinstall.
  3. Any changes to system resources (fonts / icons / ....) during re-install.
  4. May want to import aspects of the branch rather than the whole branch.

As I said I've never tried this, but it is a possible mechanism to recovering your original configuration - whether it is worth the effort is for you to decide!

Definitely make sure that you backup your registry (and preferably your PC) before trying anything!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:43 pm 

i thought that may be the case

surely there must be a way to browse the registry entries for it and back them up somehow?

also, is there anyway to get nexus to auto backup itself incase of emergencies just like this

last back up i manually made was 4 months ago so clearly its a bit outdated and would create lots of work for users with this same issue

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:29 pm 

TomasMascinskas wrote:
also, is there anyway to get nexus to auto backup itself incase of emergencies just like this

Use Alarm Manager with an internal command of Auto-Backup Settings.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:17 am 

could you expand on that please, is there no automated way to autobackup? im sure people would benefit from this

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:25 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

TomasMascinskas wrote:
could you expand on that please, is there no automated way to autobackup? im sure people would benefit from this

Yes, there is - techlobo just explained it to you.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:05 pm 

i think youre assuming that i understood what he meant lol, could you please elaborate for newbies

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:21 pm 

Winstep includes a capability (Applet / module / call it what you like) called Alarm Manager.

You can access this by right clicking on an empty area within the Nextstart taskbar; Nexus dock; or Workshelf and selecting to insert a new item (quick launch / shelf - depending upon where you are). Then select Internal Command and whichever is the top menu item (as it refers to the capability you are using (Nextstart / Workshelf / Dock). In there you select Alarm Manager.

Once Alarm Manager is present open it and set a new alarm. Give it a name (e.g. Auto preferences backup), set your desired schedule, and under 'Do What' select 'Run an Internal Command'. In the command box that is subsequently shown select 'Auto backup settings'.

Note that Winstep does not tidy up backup files so be particular about frequency of backup, and arrange for separate periodic housekeeping as required.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

techlobo wrote:
Note that Winstep does not tidy up backup files

Which is an oversight on my part. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:46 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
techlobo wrote:
Note that Winstep does not tidy up backup files

Which is an oversight on my part. :D

LOL! No no no Jorge, leave that alone please - I depend on it as I keep several generations for each user account (all with slightly different file names)! Or will do again, once I get round to setting up Windows again.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]