Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 147 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v19.2?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:33 pm 

Vlad wrote:

Good job Jorge! Welcome back!

Winstep in another forum wrote:
Finally had some REAL holidays so I am starting to feel the need to get back to Winstep full time again. :)

So when is next release?

Whats in it plz?

My licence is due in a few month.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

... and the Weather.com feed is down again. Nobody knows if it's a temporary thing like last October or if this time is permanent.

Luckily when I got tired of Weather.com constant changes to their feed a handful of years ago I implemented support for several backup feeds. Besides the original NOAA METAR feed which only supports current conditions on cities with airports, I also added support for the Weather.com, Google, MSN and Yahoo feeds. If one failed, the module would try to get information from the next in the chain and so on...

This at the very least would give me enough time to work on an update if Weather.com changed the API again, and users would not be without weather info until that happened.

Alas, as the years went by, Google completely killed their feed. Then last year Yahoo closed their feed off and it now requires AUTH authentication - I did get a license key from them, but I would need to use expensive 3rd party software to implement AUTH authentication, as from all I read it is not something trivial to implement properly.

So that left us with the METAR, Weather.com and MSN feeds. As of a couple of days ago, the Weather.com feed stopped working again, so you can thank Microsoft's MSN feed for the module not breaking entirely - but you can't trust them to keep their feed alive either.

From what I have been reading Rainmeter skins/users have been affected too as they completely depended on the Weather.com feed, so for Rainmeter weather skins it's game over - at least for the time being.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:10 pm 

With MSN the moon doesn't come out for five hours after sunset.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gregory2001 wrote:
With MSN the moon doesn't come out for five hours after sunset.

Ah, you mean on the forecast for the current day?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:29 pm 

No, not the forecast but the current weather now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah. Hmmm, problem the time being reported as local when the application is expecting UTC or vice-versa. Do me a favor: open the Weather settings panel then click on the 'Check Weather' button. This will create a log file named Weather.log in

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\

Please send me an email to Winstep support with that file attached AND the time it currently is there. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, fixed for next release, thanks. MSN was reporting the *local* time for that location instead of UTC time.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually only half-fixed, i.e.; it fixed the wrong Observation Time being reported, but not the moon icon.

The Weather.com feed reports Sunrise and Sunset times which are then used to calculate whether to show a moon or a sun. Unfortunately the MSN feed does not report that information.

It does report the longitude and latitude coordinates though, so maybe I can use those to calculate sunrise and sunset times (like the moon module does).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:58 pm 

No worries. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fully fixed now, although it wasn't easy. Thank God for the moon module scientific formulas which allow me to calculate sunrise and sunset times based on longitude and latitude coordinates (and the MSN feed for providing those two values for whatever is the selected location).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:38 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
From what I have been reading Rainmeter skins/users have been affected too as they completely depended on the Weather.com feed, so for Rainmeter weather skins it's game over - at least for the time being.

First, weather.com definitively shut it down. If you go to their wxdata.weather.com site, you get:

Code:
This service is deprecated as of 01/15/2020

Second, Rainmeter skin makers use a webparser.dll. You feed it a URL (html, php, rss, xml, etc.) and then a "match" string (regular expression) for it to parse the bits. When wxdata went bye-bye several days ago, one skinner, Xxenium, switched his skins to scrape a regular weather.com page rather than the XML. He did a rather thorough job of it. His DeviantArt profile can be found here. Any of them that contain weather will have his updated webparser stuff.

I don't know for sure, but webparser.dll may be open source and/or public. Using his regex, you might be able to come up with your own parsing to still rip the data out of weather.com and feed it to your module.

It's just a thought.

P.S. I just looked at the webparser.dll docs and I think it was built by Rainmeter devs to work inside Rainmeter, so there might be too much of a dependency on the Rainmeter to make it worth your while.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

DesertDwarf wrote:
First, weather.com definitively shut it down. If you go to their wxdata.weather.com site, you get: This service is deprecated as of 01/15/2020

Yes, I know, but it said the same thing back in October (that the service was deprecated) and they ended up restoring the feed a handful of days later.

This said, I do have a feeling that this time it's permanent, but we never know.

DesertDwarf wrote:
When wxdata went bye-bye several days ago, one skinner, Xxenium, switched his skins to scrape a regular weather.com page rather than the XML.

Yes, I know that is possible and I wouldn't need a 3rd party DLL for that, but here is the problem: while the format of a XML feed remains constant over the years, scrapping websites only works until the provider of that website changes the layout of that page - and since these changes happen frequently, you can imagine the nightmare scrapping websites can become.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, 20.1 beta released.

Open Preferences, click the version number in the top right corner of the About tab and then click the View Change Log button to view all changes.

Because multi-core CPUs are now becoming the norm, I have added a setting in the CPU Meter settings dialog to show a decimal place for the CPU usage of processes as displayed in the desktop CPU meter module. This is useful because on a 8 core/16 thread CPU such as the 9900K a processor using 100% of ONE core will appear as using 100%/16 cores (6.25%) of the whole CPU. Given this, showing the CPU usage percentage without a decimal place is no longer accurate information. For now the option is disabled by default, but I think it should be enabled by default in the official release. Try it out and please let me know.

A ton of new internal commands for accessing Windows 10 setting panels have also been added: Windows Settings, Apps, System, Network & Internet, Devices, Gaming, Time & Language, Accounts, Personalization, Ease of Access, Phone, Privacy, Windows Update, Search Settings and Power Options. These new Internal Commands are all grouped under 'Internal Commands -> Settings' in the insert new item right click context menus.

I was getting frustrated that to get to the Windows Update settings I had to open the Windows Start Menu, click the Settings icon, then Update & Security. Now we have access to all common settings panels of the Windows 10 Metro UI.

The Winstep Xtreme Service was also updated, as it assumed a system would not be running more than 256 processes at the same time. This was no longer enough when running Windows 10, so the limit has now been raised to 512. Certain system processes were also not being enumerated correctly and/or always returned 0% of CPU and RAM usage.

Also fixed some issues related to shelf themes now being separate from the 'global theme' (because previously you could only have one shelf, this made sense, but now you can have multiple shelves and each shelf can have its own theme). There were some portions of the code that were still not taking this into consideration.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:25 pm 

Hi Jorge

For the love of everything holy were you able to cause Nexus not to constantly label windows explorer as a running application even if no WE windows are open? I know it's a constantly running process but it seems jarring to see the icon with the running indicator when no windows are opened.

Thanks ^^

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why do you have an icon in the dock pointing to 'explorer.exe' ?!

Anyway, regarding the beta, I was tired and forgot the most important thing I needed you guys to test:

You can now attach and detach the shelf (and drawers, but not docks for the time being) to and from the screen edge by simply dragging it away or into the edge.

When docked, there will be some 'resistance' as you try to detach the shelf and it will 'shake'. Once detached the detach sound will play. To attach a floating shelf to a screen edge, slowly approach the base (or top) to that screen edge.

A shelf can also be rotated into a perpendicular screen edge this way (e.g.; you can move a shelf docked to the bottom of the screen and dock it to the right or left edges of the screen) but for this it is the cursor that must be close to the perpendicular edge.

To allow for moving shelves between one monitor and another (e.g.; and not get it to automatically dock as you pass the border of one monitor into the other), the speed in which you move the shelf counts. The auto-dock mechanism only engages when slowly moving a shelf to a screen edge.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you guys.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 147 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next