Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Z-order and screen space issues
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:10 pm 

Hi I've been using Nexus Ultimate for a few months now and overall have been happy with it. Since I got the program though, I've had issues with it not being able to reserve screen space when applications maximize, for both the shelf and the dock. When I try to use other programs or options to do it instead of using nexus methods, the dock and shelf don't seem to want to "always stay on top" as I've told them to in their preferences. I was able to get this to mostly work using a program called Desktop Coral, but I've been having alot of issues with games and other 3D apps crashing and I suspect it's that app doing it. So... now I'm back to trying to get Nexus do what it's preferences say it can do. Currently I've disabled the workshelf and have moved the dock on top of the Windows taskbar hoping that the taskbar might be able to keep maximized windows from overlapping the dock, but instead the dock goes behind it whenever I click on any other window.

What I would like is to have the Nexus dock on bottom of monitor 2 with screen space reserved and shelf on top of monitor 2 under the task bar. However, the dock is always covered up by maximized windows without the use of Desktop Coral and the shelf always wants to sit over and block access to anything on the taskbar including the windows start button. The shelf will still be covered up by maximized windows though as it can't reserve screen space for itself either.

On a semi-related note, I keep having issues with games and other windows losing focus and have suspected it was Nexus causing it, but have been unable to resolve it. I've turned off showing active application icons and disabled the option to show application thumbnails everywhere I could find the option to do so. I downloaded the Focus Tester you linked in another thread and will be watching it to verify whether it is Nexus doing it or not.

My system specs are:
Windows 7 x64 Pro with Windows Classic theme
Dual Monitor with taskbar on monitor 2 at top and sidebar on right edge of screen.
Intel Core i7 920
Gigabyte EX58-UD5
12 GB DDR3 Ram
GeForce GTX 570
Nvidia Driver 280.26

Notable running tasks:
Comodo Internet Security
POP Peeper
PeerBlock
Real Temp GT 3.60
Dropbox
SetPoint Control Center Version 6.20.50
SetPoint Driver Version 5.20.51
Windows Sidebar with:
7 Sidebar version 1.60
Volume Control Gadget
Now Playing Gadget
.:GPU Observer:.
.:IntelCoreSeries:.
Network Meter
Top Process (set to 5 processes @ 5 sec interval)
Imp's Drive Info version 1.7.2

That's all the possible relevant I can think of.

I hope I can get this resolved as I really like this product alot. I use it primarily for quick access to other applications without having to hunt for them or minimize current applications to get to desktop shortcuts.

Post subject: Re: Z-order and screen space issues
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let me know what you come up by using the focus tester.

As for the reserving screen space feature (which prevents maximized windows from overlapping the dock or Shelf), unfortunately it currently only works in the *primary* monitor. Yes, I know, I've been meaning to make it work on the secondary monitors for ages but keep postponing it (it require lots of internal changes).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:54 am 

Was this ever addressed, I'm tired of having to quit & restart the program every time I switch to dual monitors!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You were replying to a post from 2011, so yes, it was addressed several years ago, in fact. You can now also reserve space in monitors other than the primary, and you also have support for multiple monitor profiles.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]