Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus and two apps with the same filename (exe).
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:59 pm 

Since this is my first post on those forums - hello to all :)

Today I discovered a strange behaviour in Nexus.

I was using two different web browsers: FF and Chrome and added FF Nighty and Chrome Canary to the setup.

The problem is as follows:

1. For example when I run Firefox Quantum (placed under Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe) from Nexus it runs it, but when I want to run the other FF version (Nightly) from Nexus - it happens that it just opens the window of previously run version. When I run the other version link from desktop it runs it without any problems. The opposite is also true - when I first run from Nexus launcher the Nightly version of FF, I cannot run from Nexus the quantum version.

2. Exactly the same situation happens with Chrome and Chrome Canary - running one version earlier from Nexus implies that the other version cannot be run (opens/maximizes the previously run program version window).

Please notice that running the "second" version of software from a desktop/start menu link causes no problems.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Sworsfish_

Post subject: Re: Nexus and two apps with the same filename (exe).
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just double click the icon instead of single clicking (or press SHIFT while left clicking) to open the second instance.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:36 am 

Thank you for your suggestion, however that's why I have a set of four icons to have each of them assigned to each one browser (from example one icon is assigned to launch Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe, while other should launch Program Files/Firefox Nightly/firefox.exe).

Is there a possibility that one dock item will always launch the one particular .exe independently from whether the .exe from the other branch has is running?

I just want to use another icon instead of double clicking (which by the way doesn't work for FF when Quantum has active processes, but interestingly works for Chrome) or using SHIFT.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:48 am 

* BUMP *

Has this been resolved?

To make it more clear - I have four separate icons in dock for browsers:
1. Icon for Firefox
2. Icon for Firefox Nightfly
3. Icon for Chrome
4. Icon for Chrome Canary

Currently, no matter what I do, when I have a Firefox/Firefox Nightfly instance running clicking on the other than the currently running instance icon brings the currently running instance to front, instead of running another instance (for example: when I have Firefox running clicking on Firefox Nightfly brings the running Firefox instance to the front, instead of running actual Firrefox Instance).

I know that there's possibility for double-click, but this simply wont do it.

EDIT: (for someone who might have the same requirements): Preferences -> Behavior -> Uncheck "Do not launch multiple session of the same application"

Many thanks, this made my day! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]