Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Firewall problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:11 pm 

The new NS does not seem to play nice with Sygate Personal Firewall. The old NS worked fine and the new WS works fine, but Sygate blocks NS no matter what I do. Since the only item to change is NS, this seems to be the instigator (notice I didn't say culprit). Any ideas?

Also, why can't I get into the beta forum?

KRomig

Post subject: Re: Firewall problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:52 pm 

KRomig wrote:
The new NS does not seem to play nice with Sygate Personal Firewall. The old NS worked fine and the new WS works fine, but Sygate blocks NS no matter what I do. Since the only item to change is NS, this seems to be the instigator (notice I didn't say culprit). Any ideas?

Also, why can't I get into the beta forum?

KRomig

I'm not sure what you mean by the firewall blocking NS, NS doesn't access the internet.

As for the beta forum, Jorge has to approve you before you can access that forum.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Firewall
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:01 am 

Hey Paul!

No NS dosen't look out by itself, BUT it starts programs that do. Sygate (and most other software firewalls) lets you know when a program starts say IE. You can allow it to proceed or not. No matter what I try, Sygate will not allow the new version of NS out. The old version, no problem. I can't tell what is going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ken, just added you to the Beta forum. For future reference:

"Registered Winstep users can access the Beta Software Discussion forum by clicking on 'User Groups' at the top of the message board and joining the 'Registered User' group. Note that applications must be approved by message board administrators, which might take a while."

Now, regarding NextSTART and your firewall, as Paul said, NextSTART does not access the Internet at all (unlike WorkShelf which does it to sync the time with the Atomic time servers, check your email and the weather). The closer NextSTART might get to it is to open a IE window pointing to the order page or something like that... so something is afoot in your system.

The following is Winstep's privacy policy, stated right at the top of the Winstep web site:

"Privacy Policy: We do not give out any customer information to anyone at any time. Our software does not in any way send or broadcast any information to us or anyone else."

Can you gather more information on when this attempts to cross your firewall happen? And what address and port is, according to your firewall, NextSTART attempting to access? Also, if you have a LAN, are you sure this isn't NextSTART accessing a folder in a networked computer instead? (This would be perfectly legit since some of your menus might point to hard disks or folders on the local network).

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry Ken, I posted my previous message before noticing you had already replied to Paul.

I'm not familiar with the Sygate Personal Firewall you are using, but, as far as I know, nothing changed between NextSTART v3.0 and v3.1 that might cause the problem you describe. What does Sygate use to make a distinction between programs allowed to go through the firewall and those not? Just the program's filename or the complete path to the program? What if you rename nextstart3.exe to nextstart31.exe and run it as that?

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Here is a jpg of the Firewall message
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:12 am 

Nothing special about it.
When I say, yes, nothing connects. It just keeps asking.

It might not be NS at all, but WS works and the just prior NS version works too.

I just thought maybe someone else had this problem.

KRomig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just installed the Sygate Personal Firewall on my system (nice firewall, btw). :)

When I launched IE from NextSTART, the firewall trapped it just like it should and does with you - the difference is that when I clicked on Yes it allowed the connection through normally, it did not keep asking me. So my guess is that the problem is somewhere in the rules you set up.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Resolution
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:36 pm 

As with all Windows apps. Un-install and re-install, both. Works now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alright, Ken, since it is a nice firewall I decided to keep it here running for a while. Well, guess what? I run into your problem just now, but this time with WorkShelf. It is indeed a bug - but a bug with the Sygate Personal Firewall.

Let me explain what is happening and how to work around it:

I compiled a new version of WorkShelf. Because the Sygate firewall keeps track of version numbers of executables launching internet applications, it notified me that WorkShelf had changed and asked me if I allowed the change. I replied yes and told it to remember my option. No doubt the same happened to you with the NextSTART v3.1 upgrade.

That's where the problems started. After that Sygate would block any application I launched through the new WorkShelf version from accessing the internet, regardless of how many times I clicked on Yes and selected the 'Remember my choice' option (rings a bell?).

So, the problem is that Sygate has a bug with updated applications. The work around?

Go to the Tools menu and select Applications. On the applications list, delete the application that is causing you trouble (in my case it was WorkShelf, in your case, NextSTART). Next time Sygate asks you anything related to that application, your settings will be remembered.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]