Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus breaks drag & drop in Windows 10
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:28 am 

I am new to Nexus and was excited to find a replacement for Stardock's ObjectDock since it was giving me all kinds of grief, however...

Since I installed Nexus I have had limited use of Windows drag and drop function. I can drag files to the recycle bin, but not to upload files to my server, or mp4 files into my video editor. If I turn off Nexus and make sure it is NOT set to load at startup - then reboot...all functionality returns. If I turn nexus back on again - my drag and drop goes away.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Post subject: Re: Nexus breaks drag & drop in Windows 10
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nope, and I never had a single report of anything remotely similar to that. Also running Windows 10 24/7 here, by the way.

Nexus does not interfere with or hook into Windows functions either, it works just like any other regular vanilla application in that respect.

What exactly happens when you try to drag & drop files to your video editor? Be as detailed as possible, please.

What happens if you reboot with Nexus NOT set to load at start up, drag & drop some files to your video editor, then manually run Nexus and try drag & drop again?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:54 am 

Wow, what a quick response...thanks!

Well, when I attempt to drag a file (to my video editor or to my FTP Client to upload) I get a "no you don't" symbol (a circle with a forward slash in the middle).

I tried all kinds of solutions but I knew I'd only installed two programs yesterday and today is when I noticed the problem. The other program was a game from Steam which was not running in the background so I started with my Nexus program.

I went to MSCONFIG and turned it off in services and disabled it in startup and then rebooted. Then drag and drop worked again. I then turned Nexus back on again (without rebooting) and the functionality went away again.

To be honest I stopped looking for solutions after that since it was able to be duplicated, so I assumed I'd found the problem which led me here thinking surely someone else has the same issue.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You know what that sounds like? Sounds like your video editor and FTP software are running with elevated privileges (i.e.; 'as admin').

Windows has something called UIPI (User Interface Privilege Isolation) since the Vista days, which basically prevents drag & drop from working when trying to drag something from a lower privilege application into a higher privilege application.

This is why Nexus will throw a fit (i.e.; show a warning dialog) if you try to run it as admin because then you cannot drag anything from Explorer into it, you get the same symbol (not to mention that it is a security nightmare, as anything you launch from a high privilege application will itself run with high privileges, a good way to p0wn your system in no time).

So, the question is: where are you launching your FTP and video editor software from? Did you see such a warning from Nexus? Can you check if those two applications are running elevated?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:11 am 

That is a very good question!

Ironically I've placed both of those programs on the Nexus menu and I run nearly everything with privileges. It is "possible" that I was not running them with privileges under my Stardock program though, so maybe the association with Nexus is self-induced and superficial.

I'm heading to bed now, but I will run a series of tests on that tomorrow and check out your suggestion. I know I remember checking the box for "Run as Administrator" in the properties for these programs when I connected them to Nexus.

Even if this doesn't prove to be the issue it is a really good guess. Thank you!

I'll update my findings hopefully tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure we found the true culprit (you, lol :P ). Why on earth you thought you should run your video editor and FTP software 'as admin' is beyond me, though. :wink:

Don't ever run an application 'as admin' unless it explicitly needs to be run that way (and normally applications that do need to be run with high privileges will pop up a UAC prompt themselves).

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 6 posts ]