Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Games keep on returning to windows desktop
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:07 am 

Hello when starting a lot of games Winstep pushes the full screen game back to the Windows desktop, it is impossible to return to the game, the only solution is to exit my beautifull Winstep programm. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Games keep on returning to windows desktop
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:20 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mondriaan wrote:
Hello when starting a lot of games Winstep pushes the full screen game back to the Windows desktop, it is impossible to return to the game, the only solution is to exit my beautifull Winstep programm. :cry:

Never having had the slightest interest in games I'm afraid I'm not much help really, but I'm pretty sure we've had that issue before? But I'm also equally sure that someone will come up with an answer.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Does this happen when you active a dock or the NextSTART taskbar?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:56 pm 

I have this problem already a while, its very anoying, if you are not aware of the problem i would that i never purchased Winstep.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you please make a list of the games this happens?

Also, are the affected games changing the screen resolution?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:27 am 

The amount of games is terrible, it seems only to happen with Nextstart (not Workshelf) and has something to do with repositioning of the toolbar, i use Playnite and then can enter a Powerscript command.

Stop-Process -Name "Nextstart" to kill the nextstart process.

After that i use Start-Sleep -s 10 to give Nextstart time to quit and after that i run games and thats the way i can counter the problem.

After playing i use the powerscript Start-Sleep -s 10 again to give the game chance to quit and after that Start-Process "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\Nextstart.exe" to start Nextstart again.

:|

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:43 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mondriaan wrote:
The amount of games is terrible, it seems only to happen with Nextstart (not Workshelf) and has something to do with repositioning of the toolbar, i use Playnite and then can enter a Powerscript command.

Stop-Process -Name "Nextstart" to kill the nextstart process.

After that i use Start-Sleep -s 10 to give Nextstart time to quit and after that i run games and thats the way i can counter the problem.

After playing i use the powerscript Start-Sleep -s 10 again to give the game chance to quit and after that Start-Process "C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\Nextstart.exe" to start Nextstart again.

:|

You are not telling us anything that could help in diagnosing your problem. Please provide the information requested by the administrator (Jorge).

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:51 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mondriaan wrote:
The amount of games is terrible

What if you just listed five of them? Perhaps pick five of the most popular that you have which is affected by this problem.

Also, which version of NextSTART do you have? If you're not sure where to find that, hit CTRL-F12 or left click on the NextSTART start button and go to Settings > Preferences and you'll find the version is in the top right of the About tab. (My version shown below is the current version.)

I play quite a few games and have never had an issue like you are describing. As you can see from my join date at the left, I've been a long-time customer of Winstep. I play Rocket League, No Man's Sky, Oxygen Not Included, Don't Starve, Kingdoms and Castles and many others and I prefer full screen (not borderless window, but true full screen).

I'm going to give Playnite a try and see if that affects things (I really don't expect it to, but it doesn't hurt to be thorough).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:21 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

So, I installed Playnite (thanks for that...cool program!), got it to find some of my games. I played Rocket League for about an hour with a controller and had no issues. So, I decided to try Kingdoms and Castles, which is mouse and keyboard. I was wondering if I could get the NextSTART taskbar to trigger even though I'm in a full-screen game. I intentionally tried to wake up the NextSTART taskbar and the Dock, but, as expected, neither of them did. I had no issues with being bounced out to the desktop.

I've never had the issue you're describing, so we need to figure out which settings will help avoid this problem.

But, first, I'd like to confirm your NextSTART version number and, if you have it, your Winstep version number. (It's in the same place and the keyboard shortcut for that program is CTRL-F11.)

While you're answering, maybe give us a list of 3 to 5 games that you know for certain are being overridden by NextSTART.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 am 

Guess you should install first some 1200 games like me and try them all before that you can say you tackle the problem.

My version is:

WS 19.02

And No i payed for the Full Packet so i will use all of its power, I've been using Winstep for at least 10 years. Its a Hook that messes with Windows so its always a little tricky to use.

The method i describe about powershell is sufficient.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mondriaan wrote:
Guess you should install first some 1200 games like me and try them all before that you can say you tackle the problem.

And you are STILL not providing the information that was asked from you.

I'm not asking you to list 1200 games, I need you to name a **handful** of the most popular ones. :) This is the only way I can try to reproduce the issue here - until I can reproduce the issue here I will not know what part of the code might be causing the problem.

I also asked if the games having a problem change the screen resolution (e.g.; your monitor is 1440p but you run the games at 1080p) and you didn't answer that question either (!)

Without an answer to these two questions I am afraid I cannot even begin to try to help you. Personally I don't have problems with Winstep applications and ANY of the games I run here. DesertDwarf doesn't have any issues either with his games.

So it's either some very specific games (which is why I need the names of the most popular ones having this issue) or there is something that all those games you are playing have in common that causes the issues you are experiencing.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]