Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Weather Module - Once More
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:57 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I've been keeping an eye on my weather module for the last 9 months or so now, constantly comparing it with my Linux ones running in a VM or two. The data, that is. And while we generally do have the superior module, I do like the way basic info is displayed in the deskbar under Linux.

Now, as for the data, the weather.com ones used by Winstep are still consistently way off the mark for my location. However, under Linux the data are quite acceptably close to the reality here and consistently so.

I use weather 'widgets'/'docklets' and whatever else they like to call it under three flavours of GNU/Linux in VMs - Debian, Fedora, and Mint. (And in multi-boot Debian and Fedora.)

Given that the info is freely available, why not incorporate it in Winstep's module, Jorge? I get all the relevant details - temperature, wind speed/dir, pressure, RH, condition, and more - and I can even specify the measures to be used individually, so I can have mph, mB, Centigrade, etc, in any mix I like. :)

Alas, Linux isn't all unadulterated bliss of course. If I ever catch the moron who's coded a dark text background in text fields, text editors and WPs etc. and combined that with black text, I'll personally rip him a new sphincter! :P That said, generally I quite like tha way dark UI has been implemented under various Linix flavours, it looks much better and is easier on the eye than Windows UWP dark UI.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Weather Module - Once More
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:13 am 

Where are your Linux weather modules getting their weather info from?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:17 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

vectornut wrote:

I've been trying to check that out but obviously haven't dug deeply enough yet as no success so far. Needless to say it would be a free-of-cost source. (Might be something Stardock could/should have considered instead of pissing off Object Dock users...)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:21 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

vectornut wrote:

Sorry, completely forgot about this!

Weather info sources used under Linux (all flavours, AFAIK, certainly Debian, Fedora, Mint, etc.) are OpenWeatherMap and DarkSky, in combination with ipapi.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]