Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Re-appearance from Autohide frequently fails
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:03 pm 

Hello everybody! I just migrated to Nexus from Rocketdock, it's so much better in many aspects.

I am having a problem with Autohide feature though. Specifically with re-activation after auto hide. Dock sits on the top, and quite frequently it fails to activate when mouse pointer hits the top of the screen. After some playing around with the settings to troubleshoot, I think the problem lies in Preferences -> Behavior -> Activation Settings -> Edge Bump Settings -> Maximum Travel Distance.

The maximum setting for this option is 128px, which is a VERY short distance on my 4K resolution and my mouse speed settings. When I bump my mouse to screen top fast to launch something, if the pointer just moves 3% of the screen width horizontally (128px is 3% of 3840px) horizontally, the dock does not appear! I have to carefully approach the top of the screen.

Is there a way to disable this feature or set it beyond 128px? Like 512 or something?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Re-appearance from Autohide frequently fails
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of the most common user complaints has always been ACCIDENTAL dock activations, which can be extremely annoying when you are working on something and you accidentally activate the dock, which then pops up on top of whatever you were working on.

As such, MANY mechanisms and settings were added to the dock activation system to alleviate this issue. The maximum horizontal travel distance for edge bumps is one of these mechanisms, since deliberate edge bumps mean moving the mouse pointer PERPENDICULAR to the screen edge (e.g.; you 'throw' the mouse up).

128 pixels is already a LOT of horizontal travel distance, regardless of screen resolution (I also have a 4K monitor, by the way). If this is not enough for you, then you are doing it wrong, sorry - you would probably be better off using the alternate Edge Swipe activation method.

Have you tried that already? You can even use a combination of both methods to activate the dock via the hotkey mechanism.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]