Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Issue with Nexus Dock on Dual Monitor
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:58 pm 

Hi all,
I have a dual monitor setup with separate docks locked to each monitor.
Anyone know why I keep getting my secondary dock move to the same place as on my primary monitor? Both docks are locked to the bottom of each screen so I cant understand whats going on.
Its quite frustrating as I have to unlock the dock which is stuck behind the other, move it back to the 2nd monitor and re-lock in place, which would be fine, but that in itself is a clunky process.

I'm guessing this has something to do with turning the 2nd monitor off. But does anyone know of a fix for this?

Thanks.

Attachments:
dock.png
dock.png [ 545.88 KiB | Viewed 15873 times ]

Post subject: Re: Issue with Nexus Dock on Dual Monitor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

stb654 wrote:
I'm guessing this has something to do with turning the 2nd monitor off.

Well, yes, of course, otherwise the dock would remain inaccessible and off-screen. Docks and other Winstep objects automatically reposition themselves into the visible screen area whenever monitors are turned off or you lower the screen resolution. This ensures you can always access them.

The real question is: why do you turn off your secondary monitor? For instance, I have a triple monitor system here and all three are always turned on (even if in power saving mode).

Anyway, from v18.12 forward, Winstep implemented automatic multi monitor profiles. This means what you are experiencing should not happen when you turn off the second monitor (unless you are running a previous version or you turned that feature off in Preferences), i.e.; docks can have different positions for different monitor configurations.

What version are you running (and is it Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme) ?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:21 am 

Ah thanks, forgot about the monitor select in preferences. That will make things easier even if the dock does revert back to the main monitor, but hopefully that fixes it.

Latest version of Nexus Ultimate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you go to

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\

is there a Profiles sub-folder? If so, how many files are in it?

Here is what is supposed to happen: when you run your system with a single monitor on, that creates a monitor profile. That profile has the positions of the docks and other Winstep objects for that particular screen resolution and screen position (for instance, docks A and B are on monitor 1, A at the top, B at the bottom, or B can be disabled in this case).

When you then add a second monitor (or turn it on) this creates a separate profile, so docks (etc) can have a different position for that particular configuration (e.g.; dock A is on monitor 1 and dock B is enabled and on monitor 2).

These profiles are created automatically when you change the screen resolution, the number of monitors, or their relative positions.

For instance, when you turn on monitor 2, a profile for monitor 1 (the previous configuration) should be automatically created and the position and status of all dock(s) etc for that configuration saved.

You then re-arrange your docks and when you switch monitor 2 off again (thus reverting to your previous configuration) a new profile is created for the two monitor configuration and the position and status (enabled/disabled) of the docks is automatically changed to what was previously saved in the single monitor profile.

Every time you switch between one configuration and the other the position and status of the docks, etc, are also saved in their respective previous configuration profiles and those in the new configuration profiles are applied.

This is how it should work at least, provided you have NOT disabled this mechanism by selecting the 'Disable multi-monitor profiles' setting in the General tab of Preferences. Please make sure that setting is NOT selected.

So, I am not sure what is happening there. When (and why, out of curiosity) do you turn your second monitor off? Is your system in a power saving state when you do that?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:22 pm 

Sorry to reopen this thread. I'm quite new i cannot find a solution.
I have 2 docks, one for each nmonitor. My sistem is a laptop + external monitor.
When I disconnect the external monitor, both docks overlap.
Disable multi-monitor profiles is not selected but still overlap.
Any other solution?

Thanks
Enrique

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not sure what you expect, the application is behaving as designed: if an object is outside the visible range, it is automatically moved to a visible monitor. This makes sure you can always access that object, even when you reduce screen resolution or when you turn off a monitor.

Here is what you can try, though: while running with a single monitor, disable the secondary dock in the Docks & Shelves tab of Preferences. Now plug in the external monitor, go to the Docks & Shelves tab of Preferences and re-enable the dock. Move it to the secondary monitor if necessary.

Now unplug your external monitor and, all going well, the automatic multi monitor profiles will kick in and keep the second dock disabled when you are running a single monitor, and enable it automatically when you plug in your external monitor.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:53 am 

Thanks, it worked!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for letting me know. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]