Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Dual monitors using displayport issue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:29 pm 

I've already emailed this to support@winstep.net but got no response:

Quote:
I have two monitors on my system, one connected through Display Port (main), the other through DVI (second). I use a couple docks on my second monitor with the "Prevent Maximized Windows From Overlapping Dock" setting to reserve space for some monitoring software and a large dock with a list of running applications. Whenever I turn my main monitor off and on again, that function ceases to work correctly and windows take up the full screen when maximized on my second monitor, even though the option is still enabled for those docks.

This is most likely related to the way windows handle display port power-off events, which it sees as a device removal.

I have uninstalled / re-installed Nexus, disabled/enabled multi-monitor profiles in the settings, and tried a complete application settings reset - the behavior still happens. Any ideas?

Here's information on which version I'm running in case it helps:
Nexus-Ultimate.exe version 19.02.1144
WSUpdate.exe version 19.02.0199
Winstep.exe version 18.11.0117
WsxService.exe version 18.06.0096
WsxMMTimer.dll version 1.00.0008

Thanks for any and all help

Post subject: Re: Dual monitors using displayport issue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Does checking the 'Disable multi-monitor profiles' setting in the General tab of Preferences fix anything?

Nexus Ultimate reserves screen space based on the Windows AppBar reserve screen space feature. It will(should) properly 'reset' these appbars whenever there is a change in the configuration of your monitors.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:44 pm 

As I stated in my post enabling / disabling that feature did not have an effect. I am now on an older version of nexus as the trial I was running expired and my current version does not offer that option.

I ended up writing a daemon app that monitors windows events and exits / relaunches nexus when my main monitor is turned on. It's not ideal but I can live with it until this issue is fixed in a future update.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, you seem to be a developer yourself, so you know I can only fix something once I fully understand what is causing it. As I said, when there is a change in monitor configuration the app bars are all reset, so what you are experiencing should not happen.

Couple questions though:

1. Why do you turn your main monitor off? By main you mean primary in Windows (top corner coordinates 0,0), right?

2. Check the available monitors in Nexus before and after turning your main monitor off. Does the monitor you just turned off remain available or is only the secondary listed now?

3. What happens to the dock that was in your (now turned off) main monitor? If it doesn't get automatically sent back to the other monitor, then turning off the monitor is NOT the same as disconnecting the device and you should still see both monitors available when checking point 2 above.

4. What Windows event are you using on your script to restart Nexus?

5. Not a question, but a suggestion: even though your trial for v19.2 expired, you can still get another 30 day trial by enabling the 'Notify me of Beta (test) versions' setting in Advanced tab of Preferences and downloading the v19.4 beta. You MUST install v19.2 first though, only after that will it allow you to install the v19.4 beta.

This is kind of important, since the automatic multi-monitor profiles allow you to have different dock configurations for different screen resolution/monitor configurations. Kind of a game changer in relation to previous versions.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:43 am 

In an effort to be as thorough as possible in exploring this I installed a new installation of windows on my system on a new partition to see if it was something I had changes in settings/registry trying to correct the issue. The new installation still has the same behavior.

Anyway, here's the answers to your questions.

1. Power saving (I know standby uses tiny amounts of power but still). Sometimes I use my machine as a server for various things. I also use hibernate instead of shutting it down fully, and I found the issue still occurred if I wake the machine from hibernate without turning the monitors back on first.

Yes, the monitor is the one with coordinate 0,0 on the top left corner and has "Make this my main display" selected in the windows display settings.

2. My main monitor disappeared from the settings, reappeared after power on.

3. The dock from my main monitor did move over to the second monitor, and then back to the main monitor when it was powered back on.

4. I ended up having to use WM_DISPLAYCHANGE (0x7E) to catch whenever the resolution changes and using that to set a timer to relaunch nexus after a second. I looked around and tried using filtering GUID_CONSOLE_DISPLAY_STATE events within WM_POWERBROADCAST messages, but that seemed to only reflect when the OS changes the rendering power state of a monitor, not the hardware changing it.

5. Awesome suggestion! I actually was able to jump right to the beta by opening preferences, going to the "Advanced" tab, enabling "Notify me of beta (test) versions", and clicking the "Check for Updates" button. Anyway I did renew my license so that's no longer an issue.

While I have your ear there are a few other things that I've come across that are annoying. I have verified they still exist on the current beta, of course they could be due to some strange configuration on my end.

1. I'm running Windows 10 and sometimes when I open "modern" applications (settings, pictures, etc), I receive the following pop-up.
    Quote:
    Nexus Ultimate Exception Handler

Error: Unknown (&H0019E14C)
    Unknown (&H0019E134)
    Access Violation - Instruction at 0x0F01BD8F tried to read from 0xAE019801.

It might be possible to continue running...
    Click Retry to attempt to save your data and continue
    or Cancel to close NeXuS Ultimate.

If I click the Retry button normal operation continues. It doesn't happen each time I open a "Modern" app, or each time I open a specific "Modern", so I'm not sure what's causing it.

2. I have one dock which contains nothing but taskbar icons. If you launch nexus when there are no windows open (actually no taskbar entries), there is a blank space added to the dock which stays and moves the contents of the dock over. You can then add an item to the dock, which replaces the blank space, and then remove the item to get a dock of nothing but taskbar items. If you launch nexus when there is already a taskbar entry the dock looks like it should, with no blank space at the beginning.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't want you to think I am ignoring this issue or have forgotten about it, I have to take a good look at the code first in light of what you wrote, before I can provide a proper answer. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And then I forgot about it. Aaaargh. Sorry. :roll:

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]