Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Wiinstep Support?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:34 am 

Is Winstep/Nexus support still available. I've been sending emails to tech support for a couple of months, but I never got a reply.

I recently purchased Nexus Ultimate, and this week installed it on my new Win 10 computer.

I'm having the same problem that I did with the old computer on Win 7 --- it stops recognizing my registration, and won't let me make any changes in Properties or Preferences.

I explained same to support, but no reply. Can someone tell me if support still exists. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Wiinstep Support?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, it still exists.

When that happens, does the Register tab come back to Preferences? If so, what happens if you navigate to it and click the 'Register Now' button?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:16 pm 

winstep wrote:
Yes, it still exists.

When that happens, does the Register tab come back to Preferences? If so, what happens if you navigate to it and click the 'Register Now' button?

I tried a few times, nothing happens.

It seems to be sporadic. It's working this morning, and shows that I'm registered (in Preferences). It was also sporadic in Win 7.

If Winstep support still exists, why don't they answer emails (which is what the webpage says to do)?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The website also instructs you to contact Winstep through the forums if you get no reply by email after 48 hours.

Anyway, what does your Win7 system have in common with your Windows 10 system? Did you make a clean Windows 10 install or did you install Windows 10 on top of Windows 7?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:57 pm 

winstep wrote:
The website also instructs you to contact Winstep through the forums if you get no reply by email after 48 hours.

Anyway, what does your Win7 system have in common with your Windows 10 system? Did you make a clean Windows 10 install or did you install Windows 10 on top of Windows 7?

Clean install ... it's a new computer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, that helps. From the software you had installed on your Win7 computer, which did you end up also installing on Win 10?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:37 pm 

winstep wrote:
Ok, that helps. From the software you had installed on your Win7 computer, which did you end up also installing on Win 10?

A Nexus backup (wbk file) from a few years ago. I've since located a recent one from this version, which I'd like to install (using the software restore), but am holding off till I hear from you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, I mean which 3rd party software is COMMON to your Win7 and your Win10 installations (for instance, are you using the same anti-virus/security software?). My guess is that something is interfering with Winstep software reading the license key.

Here the sort of thing you are describing (the software becoming temporarily unregistered) has NEVER happened, be it on Win7 systems or on Windows 10 systems.

You don't need to hold off restoring from the most recent backup - it has nothing to do with the registration process. You may want to make a new backup prior to restoring though, just to be on the safe side.

Also, when it loses registration, SOMETHING must happen when you go to the Register tab and click on the Register button. Either it correctly self-registers itself, or you get a dialog asking you for a serial number. But 'nothing happens' is simply not an option, sorry. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:17 pm 

winstep wrote:
No, I mean which 3rd party software is COMMON to your Win7 and your Win10 installations (for instance, are you using the same anti-virus/security software?). My guess is that something is interfering with Winstep software reading the license key.

Here the sort of thing you are describing (the software becoming temporarily unregistered) has NEVER happened, be it on Win7 systems or on Windows 10 systems.

You don't need to hold off restoring from the most recent backup - it has nothing to do with the registration process. You may want to make a new backup prior to restoring though, just to be on the safe side.

Also, when it loses registration, SOMETHING must happen when you go to the Register tab and click on the Register button. Either it correctly self-registers itself, or you get a dialog asking you for a serial number. But 'nothing happens' is simply not an option, sorry. :)

1) I've installed most of the software I was using, except that I installed current versions. This includes McAfee, which got installed on my old computer about 6 weeks ago. The new computer came with it installed.

2) When I say gets "unregistered," I just mean the confirmation which can be seen in the first Preferences tab disappears.

3) I didn't see the Registration button in Preferences on Win 10. (I did see it in Win 7.) What I'm clicking on is the "Nexus.wsxkey" file, which I have saved.

4) By "nothing happens," clicking on the register *file* doesn't bring back the registration confirmation. At the time I click on it, it "bounces."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, next time it happens, open Nexus Ultimate Preferences, then look for the Registration tab - if the software is currently not registered, then the Registration tab appears again (it must). Go to the Registration tab and click the 'Click to Register' button, then please report back what happened.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:40 pm 

winstep wrote:
Ok, next time it happens, open Nexus Ultimate Preferences, then look for the Registration tab - if the software is currently not registered, then the Registration tab appears again (it must). Go to the Registration tab and click the 'Click to Register' button, then please report back what happened.

Will do .... with a Screenshot.

Thanks.
Kami

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, Kami! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:38 pm 

KJS wrote:
winstep wrote:

Will do .... with a Screenshot.

Thanks.
Kami

It's back! :) See screenshot of error msg.

I get it when I try to open Prferences. The screen opens after I click on OK.

Selecting most of the tabs in Preferences, and again when I select General or About. Dock Properties window opened, but I get the same popup error msg. when I click on Position, Behavior and Effects, the first time.

The second time I clicked on the tabs they all opened okay. And then Preferences opened without the error message; it opened to About, and see my registration, which I didn't see the first time (as described above.)

So it's still sporadic.

Before I found the recent backup file, I had updated the dock shortcuts which needed updating. So I changed my mind about using the backup file, which I'd also have to update. 8)
Kami

Attachment:
Nexus error 339.JPG
Nexus error 339.JPG [ 31.05 KiB | Viewed 16355 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This issue has nothing to do with temporarily losing your registration.

Try doing what the dialog suggests: re-installing the FULL version of Nexus Ultimate *on top* of your current installation (i.e.; do NOT uninstall anything first). Don't forget to exit Nexus Ultimate prior to running the installer.

Once that's done and Nexus Ultimate is running again go to Preferences and see if you still get that error message. If you still do (and only if!) this is something that can happen if some rogue application installs another version of the comctl32 into System32 instead of SysWow64 on a 64 bit system. In that case:

1. Exit Nexus Ultimate.
2. Search the C:\Windows folder for Comctl32.ocx - my guess is that you will find it in two different locations.
3. Rename all copies of comctl32.ocx to comctl32.ocx.bak.
4. Re-install Nexus Ultimate on top of your current installation again.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:37 pm 

winstep wrote:
This issue has nothing to do with temporarily losing your registration.

Try doing what the dialog suggests: re-installing the FULL version of Nexus Ultimate *on top* of your current installation (i.e.; do NOT uninstall anything first). Don't forget to exit Nexus Ultimate prior to running the installer.

When you say "FULL" version, do you mean NexusSetup.exe or UltimateSetup.exe?
Kami

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next