Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Thanks a bunch for all the work you've done!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:15 pm 

I've been using Winstep Xtreme for a decade now and it truly enhanced the experience of using my PC. I turned a few people onto it and only ever heard praise. It's truly a great piece of software. Thanks for supporting it for so many years.

With how powerful the Windows 10 start menu has become, and the improvements to auto-hiding, the system tray, and the UI in general, I just don't find much use for Winstep at this point. UIs are changing drastically, and I hope to see some new offerings from Winstep!

Best wishes!

Post subject: Re: Thanks a bunch for all the work you've done!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:14 pm 

Hmmmmmm, that's odd. That just goes to show you how tastes differ so much. I find it surprising that those are the reasons you used Xtreme.

I've also used Xtreme for many years and the reasons I use it is as follows:

1. It hides the desktop icons. The hidden items can be accessed with a bump and a scroll.

2. Folders, drives, links and files can all be accessed via a dock or Shelf.

2. Drag and drop feature of docks. You can choose whether to drop a PNG file into a folder on the dock by pressing the Shift key, but will change the icon on the dock if nothing is pressed while drag and drop is performed.

3. The use of animated icons for docks which can also be applied by simply dragging it to an icon on the dock.

4. The bump Hotspot feature which allows you to bump corners to access folders. And once those folders are accessed, a context menu allows you to drag and drop easily because the context menu stays above all other windows and will expand the full width of the monitor in rows if need be. One of my favorite features!

5. The alarm/clock. Awesome! "Say the time" can be turned off and on at your chosen time. A feature Jorge added some time ago which made me very happy! Since I'm frequently a night owl. I no longer have to worry about disturbing anyone else in the wee hours of the morning, so I set it to turn off between midnight and 7am. BTW the volume is now easier to adjust.

6. Just remembered this. How could I forget. The desktop modules! The most important one to me is the CPU module. Right-click on it and you will see what are the most active programs. Much easier than using the task manager. The weather, moon phase, recycle bin and RAM are the other ones I use.

7. Last but not least, the customization aspects of Xtreme which is in abundance.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]