Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Import Winstep Settinngs to New PC
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:39 pm 

I'm in the process of installing programs on the new PC.

Unfortunately, I forgot where the files are (so I can transfer them) and the exact procedure to import my settings from the other PC to the new one.

Post subject: Re: Import Winstep Settinngs to New PC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You mean Winstep settings? Just make a backup in both WorkShelf and NextSTART, saving the files into a flash pen or something, and then Restore those settings in the new PC.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:31 am 

Thanks Jorge. The only issue I had was that the dock theme Blue Lights didn't restore. It might have happened because somehow a while back, I managed to get two entries of it in the same location. :shock:

I couldn't figure out how remove one of the entries. So, I decided to do a search for "blue lights winstep dock theme" and got a hit!

I DL the Blue Lights file and installed it straight from the net to Winstep Theme Manger. I re-DL and saved the file so I'll have it in case it becomes no longer available.

I saw the new theme "Elegant Abstract" that's similar. I'm going to try it out to see how it looks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:22 pm 

I should have made it more clear. It was confusing the way I wrote it.

There are two different issues. The first issue is I couldn't (and still can't) remove one of the duplicate entries from the original PC. Jorge, how do I do that? I didn't bring it up before since it was working without issues. But since I'm on the topic, I might as well find out how to do it. Especially since it's being passed on to someone else.

The second issue was I DL the Blue Lights theme to the new PC and installed it.

I have another issue. I didn't think much of it. but my weather module theme is gone too. How do find out which theme is being used on the original PC?

It doesn't show which one it is like the themes for docks. There are several themes missing from the weather module.

The ones missing are as follows:

Cabal Xtreme
Dominion
Eminence
Graduate
Serenity
unlighted_ns
Wrath

Once the missing theme is identified, what's the best way to get it? Should I search for it the same way as I did the Blue Lights theme?

Oh, also, there is no click sound when I click on a dock item.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:06 pm 

There's an update to my post. If I bump WorkShelf, then click an item on the dock, then, and only then, will the "click" sound be heard.

I hope that gives some insight as to what is going on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:14 pm 

By the process of elimination, I searched and found which missing theme it was, DL and applied it. The missing theme I wanted is 555. However, I had to change the color to try to match the default blue on my other PC. The 555 theme I just DL is a gray color.

Okay, I've narrowed down the problem with the no "click" sound on the dock unless I bump the Shelf first. My new monitor has a speaker. I don't yet have the speakers from the other PC hooked up. I first tried a Bluetooth headset and it worked, but not at an optimal level. The sound was very low. I could barely hear it.

I then plugged in a headset with a boom mic (two wires) and it works flawlessly. I then connected the Bluetooth headset to the other PC and it performed similarly as it did on the new PC with the same low sound problem but also sometimes has an odd muffled sound.

So my conclusion is that there is a compatibility issue with these types of speakers and headsets. Jorge, is there a fix for this on your end?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is a system issue, nothing to do with the Winstep application itself.

As for figuring out which themes are currently applied to which objects, just open Preferences, go to the Themes tab and change 'Winstep Themes' to the object you want (e.g.; Weather Monitor). This will show the theme currently applied to a specific desktop module, for instance (and also allows you to change the theme only for that module).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:12 pm 

Hmmmmmm. When using the LG HDR 4k monitor's speaker, I click Test Sound in WorkShelf Preferences under Sounds-Launch Item-wsClick.wav, the click sound is heard fine.

It's when I click an item on the dock when it doesn't work. And as I mentioned earlier, it will work if I bump the WorkShelf first. Doesn't make sense unless something in Winstep got corrupted somehow? :? Maybe in the backup transfer process?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:31 pm 

I've finally finished transferring all of the files to the new PC and have connected the speakers. The click sound works as it's supposed to.

Jorge, with that said, I'm still confused about this. Whether or not it's a system issue doesn't make sense to me. Can you please explain why certain speakers work and others won't?

There seems to be no logical reason why. The monitor speakers and Bluetooth headset doesn't pick up the click sound unless the Shelf is bumped first, but a headset with a boom mic and the PC speakers (two satellites and sub-woofer which is about 7 years old) works.

But what really adds to my confusion is what I mentioned earlier when I tested the ones that don't work as they should when, "I click Test Sound in WorkShelf Preferences under Sounds-Launch Item-wsClick.wav, the click sound is heard fine."

Is that a separate function that is not tied into the dock in any way?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I can't explain it. The Winstep application just tells Windows "here, play THIS sound file" and Windows then takes care of the rest. If the sound does not play under certain conditions, it is already a system issue (drivers, etc), not a Winstep issue.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]