Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Dock icons running per-program name instead of per-process
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:18 pm 

Hi Jorge,

In Windows 10's taskbar you can create 'chrome apps' - i.e. shortcuts to webpages which essentially function as an app.

The shortcut in question is essentially the chrome process running a specific code causing the webpage to open in a seperate window.

Example:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --profile-directory=Default --app-id=hnpfjngllnobngcgfapefoaidbinmjnm

The taskbar in Windows 10 treats these shortcuts as separate apps - i.e. when such an 'app' is open it's icon and corresponding behaviour is seperate from the Chrome's main icon. This is great and how a user would expect this to have (seeing as for a user the shortcut behaves as a seperate app)

However, in Nexus, these shortcuts are combined as part of the main chrome process. Moreover the icon for each of these shortcuts is the chrome icon as I understand Nexus recognizes these 'shortcuts' as essentially what they are - additional open chrome windows.

Would it be possible to change the behaviour in question to be similar to Windows 10's taskbar? :)

I can provide screenshots for better understanding if needed :P

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Dock icons running per-program name instead of per-proce
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alas, this has been discussed before and unfortunately it is not possible. There is nothing that distinguishes a normal Chrome browser window from a Chrome app window, so there is no way for the Winstep application to know when it is dealing with one or the other.

The Windows taskbar knows this because there is communication between it and the Chrome window that the Winstep application is not privy to.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Dock icons running per-program name instead of per-proce
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:38 pm 

Ah that's a shame

There are several apps that can be used to workaround this though - I'm going to try using these instead (convert web pages to native apps)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]