Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus minimises games over and over
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:03 am 

So I've narrowed this down to a Nexus problem. If i quit the Nexus there's no problem.

Whenever I alt tab a game it will minimise like normal. If i open the game back up again however, it will minimise the game again automatically. It will do this over and over for 10~ times or sometimes even more.

I've tried messing with the settings and ticking and unticking every option that sounds like it might do something to no avail. At my wits end, makes multiplayer games unplayable if I need to tab out to do anything. Closing and reopening Nexus after every game is just a pain but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Post subject: Re: Nexus minimises games over and over
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are the games changing screen resolution?

Do all the games do this or only some games?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:42 am 

Only a few games, but the biggest offenders are R6 Siege and CSGO. I play 4:3 and 5:4 aspect ratio on them, and I've noticed if i switch to native aspect ratio its fine and no longer minimises.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:35 am 

Hi, just registered to post about a similar issue, but first a little background info:
NVIDIA GTX 1070 x2 SLI
Intel i7 7700
16GB RAM
TV Vizio M-Series 4K 50"
Nexus Dock v19.2

So, my previous TV/PC Monitor was a Toshiba 1080p 55" and since I was running games / desktop at native resolution I never had problems with Nexus (been using for 3 years). But now I can't run newer games at native resolution with my current video cards without going below 60fps, so some of them I have to play at 1440p or 1080p, this is when the issues started.
Whenever I run any game in full screen that changes resolution it gets minimized to tray and I have to keep fighting to max/min until it stays full screen (sometimes never happens), so I started exiting my tray apps until I found the culprit was Nexus dock, did a search in Google and found other people with the same issues but it was back in 2011, so I assumed it must have been fixed by now, but I kept testing and kept getting the same results, this happens regardless if the game is launched through Nexus or start menu.

Found the app one of the developers linked to test focus window and you can see the results in the attached image.

Never found a solution in the forums and so far my only solution is to completely close Nexus whenever I run a game that changes resolution.

Please help, I don't want to install ObjectDock again :lol:

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 14.6 KiB | Viewed 11559 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem is that the Winstep application has to be able to distinguish when a screen resolution change is *temporary* (i.e.; prompted by a game) or *permanent* (prompted by the user) so it knows whether it needs to move all screen objects to visible locations or not.

Thing is, there is no 'I just temporarily changed the screen resolution to play a game' event, so the application needs to figure it out by itself.

When there is a screen resolution change (e.g.; a WM_DISPLAYCHANGE event) the Winstep application waits about 4 seconds for things to settle down (you can actually confirm this delay by the time that elapsed between Wolcen becoming the foreground window and Nexus response 4 seconds later) and then checks to see if there is a full screen window (i.e.; covering the whole screen) that is not Explorer running.

If there is, then the resolution change was likely caused by a game and the Winstep application automatically enters a 'game mode' in which it does not respond to edge bumps, does not update modules so as not to unnecessarily waste CPU cycles, etc, etc...

However, if the Winstep application thinks it was a resolution change initiated by the user, then it grabs the focus so it can make sure all docks, desktop modules, etc, are all within the new visible area *and* the proper size to fit on the available space. If it did not do this, you might suddenly be unable to access docks or other objects after manually changing to a lower screen resolution.

So, the problem seems to be that some games are apparently failing the 'full screen window' test. Why this happens I don't currently know, and it seems that it only happens with SOME games, not all.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:35 pm 

winstep wrote:
So, the problem seems to be that some games are apparently failing the 'full screen window' test. Why this happens I don't currently know, and it seems that it only happens with SOME games, not all.

I did some more testing with a few other games that have to change full screen resolution and none of them had any issues, only Wolcen so far (the one I'm playing the most these days).

I also found under Settings/Behavior/Activation Settings a blacklist for apps, but it does the opposite of what I need.

How about adding a whitelist to Nexus for apps that don't report full screen behavior and tell Nexus NOT to mess with them?

Many thanks for your time and efforts :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Besides already having way too many lists (I didn't even remember implementing the one you mentioned anymore lol), I don't think adding another for this purpose would help either: for instance, the game can be running but be currently minimized, and in that case the dock needs to respond to user input, etc...

I also REALLY DISLIKE making changes to that part of the code without knowing EXACTLY what I am doing (and even then...!).

Because events during a screen resolution change are time sensitive, it is extremely hard to debug what is going on. Furthermore, that part of the code is so complex and inter-dependent (read 'held together with spit and glue') that a simple change to fix one game that does not 'go by the rules' can accidentally break the whole thing and make it WORSE.

I might revisit this AFTER the next official release though.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]