Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Registering Trouble
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:48 am 

I am having issues registering Nexus Ultimate.

I've tried for 205 days tweaking with things (I know I'm lazy about posting here.). I even sent an email on 19 Aug 2019 to support without getting a response.

When I try to register, I open the folder that has the license key. I click it and nothing happens. I right click and select "Register", and nothing happens.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling on an elevated Admin account, and still nothing happens.

Just sent an email when I uninstalled asking for help again!

Order ID: 42989127 from 29 July 2019

Post subject: Re: Registering Trouble
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, several points here: :)

I managed to find your email from August and apparently I failed to reply to that one, so sorry about that. :(

I can't find the email you just sent, but I imagine that this is because you didn't actually send an email but rather answered the uninstall survey. Uninstall surveys are not a reliable way to communicate with Winstep as they are NOT closely monitored - they serve more as a way to find 'common' problems.

What you were doing with the license key file is not how you register the product - the actual procedure (as well as troubleshooting steps) is clearly described on the email with your license key.

The original key file as a .wsxkey extension which is changed to .key when the license key file is automatically moved to the Licenses folder by the application, which happens when you double click the original file.

The fact that you get a 'Register' option in the context menu when you right click the license key file suggests you didn't follow the instructions and instead manually copied the original .wsxkey file to the Licenses folder.

Anyway, my first question is, if the product wasn't registered how did you manage to run it for 216 days? Or you didn't and just left it there inactive?

Either way, to solve the issue you will first need to re-install Nexus Ultimate again, sorry. Use the download link on the email with your license key, and let me know if you no longer have access to that email, I'll send you a copy.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:53 am 

I've uninstalled Nexus and reinstalled.

I copied the license key from my email to the licenses folder, change it from wxs to key, and through Nexus, click on the Register tab, and then the Open Folder tab, which opens the licenses tab. I try double clicking the file, but then it asks me what program I want to open it with.

I also tried not changing the extension, double clicking it to register, which creates creates a .key file on top of the .wsx file, but Nexus doesn't see it. It still asks me which program I want to open the file with.

Oh, and I just left it there inactive. I wasn't able to actually use the program.

Reason I'm having so much trouble is that I actually did follow the email step by step and still run into this problem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you download a fresh copy of Nexus Ultimate from the Winstep web site?

Also, can you post a screenshot of the About tab in Preferences, please?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:50 am 

I'm still using the 19.2 Ultimate installer that I got last year when I ordered.

Attachment:
File comment: About Tab
Nexus about.PNG
Nexus about.PNG [ 620.87 KiB | Viewed 10913 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Key pic
Key pic.PNG
Key pic.PNG [ 436.65 KiB | Viewed 10913 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah-ah! I knew it - someone has a hard time reading the manual before engaging in action, and then the table gets mounted upside down lol

Since when is the key file named Winstep Nexus Key.key ? The ACTUAL and ORIGINAL filename is Nexus.key - no wonder the software didn't see it. :)

So, rename the file Winstep Nexus Key.key to Nexus.key (and make sure Windows is not hiding file extensions so it doesn't become Nexus.key.key instead), open Preferences, go to the Register tab and click the 'Register' button.

Also, please delete the Winstep Nexus Key.wsxkey file.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:23 am 

It worked! Thanks so much. Love the program.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]