Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Subscription reminder's "Remind me again in..." doesn't
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:12 pm 

Ctrl-F11 => Produces two dialogs; One with WinStep and one with Nexus. See pics (can't seem to upload images now).

https://imgur.com/ftiDjcR

https://imgur.com/5VFKi0f

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh wow. As I suspected.

You are using BOTH WorkShelf and Nexus Ultimate at the same time. Now THAT is a fine dandy mess you got yourself into lol.

Press CTRL+F11. Select the Nexus Ultimate Preferences panel and press the Exit button. Do any of your docks, etc, that you actually use go missing?

Now do the same with the WorkShelf Preferences panel. Do any of your docks/shelves go missing?

Hope you understand what I am trying to do here. Settings for both applications are separate, so you must choose to use one or the other.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:44 am 

Not sure how that happened. Still not exactly clear on what happened. Did this happen when I upgraded from Ultimate to Xtreme?

I did not catch that there were two processes running before. There was never any indication. I see now that Startup shows both Ultimate & Workshelf running, from the same directory. My settings are tied to the Ultimate executable. Nothing in Workshelf.

What is the best way to straighten this out? Despite this mishap, I am an advanced Windows user with prof software dev experience so I can mostly follow along, although age is starting to chisel away at much of what I thought I knew. :?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, so first you need to do is a backup of Nexus Ultimate settings do we can transfer those to WorkShelf. Open Nexus Ultimate Preferences, go to the Advanced tab and click the Backup button. Call this backup 'NexusUltimateBackup'.

Now exit Nexus Ultimate.

Go to the WorkShelf settings (CTRL+F11). To be on the safe side (ah-ah, too many years doing this lol) we are also going to backup those settings first. So in the Advanced tab of WorkShelf Preferences click the Backup button and call the backup 'WorkShelfBackup'.

Now click the Restore button and restore from the 'NexusUltimateBackup' we did previously. This should bring back all your docks, shelves, etc. Press OK to close Prefereences.

Make sure everything is there and working as it should, then go to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\

and delete the nexus-ultimate.exe file. That's right, just delete the damn executable, if you try to do anything else you will more likely than not hose the shared installation. :)

Hopefully this will fix it. Let me know so we can proceed. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:04 am 

Okay. Done & verified. I'm running expired Workshelf with all settings copied over.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you already apply the new key I sent you?

Once you've done that if you haven't yet, go to the Advanced tab in Preferences and enable the 'Notify me of beta (test) versions' setting, then click the Check for Updates button.

The Winstep Update Manager should notify you of the v20.3 beta. Download and let the updater install it.

Once the application starts up again, you should get the update subscription reminder. Set it to 'Never' and report back the value of the key in the Registry we discussed on the PM.

All going well, once you've set it to Never you should only see it again when you restart the Winstep application or reboot your computer (yes, I realize that is a strange concept of 'Never', but it is what it is in this particular case. :) )

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:04 am 

The value now is 44289.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yay! Now THAT is what it should be. Thanks. :)

Let me know if the reminder misbehaves again (by constantly popping up as before).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:13 pm 

Thank you. Very much appreciate the great support for a great product that I wouldn't want to be without. I will be putting my upgrade in in a few weeks. Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2