Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Center the taskbar?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:09 pm 

Hi! Totally new to Winstep here. I was curious if there is a way to center the taskbar. I did a quick search and didn't see anything. I am on an SUW with a 5120x1440 res. I usually had displayfusion separate the desktop taskbar so that it was centered. With winstep I expected it not to function anymore.

It obviously spans the entire desktop but that's just to much looking to the left to get to the "start" or "step" button or whatever it is called (no dis-respect meant).

I already set it to not stretch the whole desktop but of course it's aaaalll the way to the left now hah!

Last edited by Wolfen on Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Center the taskbar?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alas, there is no way to center the NextSTART taskbar so that it grows dynamically, which I guess is what you want. You can center it, but you have to resize it manually, so it's fixed size.

This said, you might want to try doing that with a dock. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:23 pm 

winstep wrote:
Alas, there is no way to center the NextSTART taskbar so that it grows dynamically, which I guess is what you want. You can center it, but you have to resize it manually, so it's fixed size.

This said, you might want to try doing that with a dock. :)

Hey thanks for the response. Anywhere I can look to find out how to set the specific size of it? I don't need dynamic sizing. I just want to set it to an ultrawide size rather than 5120PX haha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NextSTART Preferences -> Taskbar tab -> Taskbar Settings -> Uncheck 'Full screen width' -> Click Ok -> Click Ok

Now you should be able to resize the taskbar by dragging the edges.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:19 pm 

Yeah. I did figure that part out. Unfortunately that makes windows when full screened go over it (or under if I set it to always on top).

Maybe I can get display fusion to force all maximized windows to not go over the pixel amount I set for the taskbar.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eh?! It shouldn't, provided the taskbar remains docked (i.e.; 'Dock to screen edge...' is enabled).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:03 pm 

That's correct. But when I have it set to not docked and resizable and then "center it" manually, apps don't think the taskbar exists. If I set it to always on top that means the windows are full screened (1440px) and the taskbar is on top. If it's docked everything acts as expected. Problem is, when docked... it's off to the left of this gargantuan monitor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh... I see what you mean. Been a long time since I changed that part of the NextSTART code.

You **should** be able to move the taskbar horizontally even when docked to a screen edge but that apparently is not currently possible lol

Luckily for you there is another mechanism that should solve your problem: open NextSTART Preferences, go to the General tab. See that Reserve Screen Space section? You can reserve space at the screen edges that is not covered by maximized applications, and you can then place the taskbar inside one of those areas.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:50 pm 

Brilliant! That did the trick. Now I can keep DP with maximizing and it still remembers the main splits and NextStart is forcing them into that safety zone. Thanks!

This covers so far my key concerns and I can get on to true customization.

On a side note. Have you guys considered some lifetime sub price? I hate annuals haha.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is the best method for everyone, it protects both Winstep and the customer. You don't have to pay for something you might not get, and Winstep is not forced to churn out updates just because the customer is expecting them. Win-win! :)

I think you already read the upgrade policy FAQ, right?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:18 am 

winstep wrote:
This is the best method for everyone, it protects both Winstep and the customer. You don't have to pay for something you might not get, and Winstep is not forced to churn out updates just because the customer is expecting them. Win-win! :)

I think you already read the upgrade policy FAQ, right?

Yes I did. I just am not a fan of subs. I think your system is fair though. I just prefer personally to say... drop a couple hundred or few hundred down and then forget it for life lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]