Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Subscription reminder's "Remind me again in..." doesn't work
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:02 pm 

Hi,

First of all I would like to thank you for the wonderful software. I have been a subscriber of Nexus Ultimate for the last 5-7 years (don't remember exactly) and I definitely plan to be in the future because I like it very much.

I have the following problem. My yearly license expired 4 days ago and I still haven't renewed. The subscription reminder popup comes out every 2 minutes even when I tell it to remind me in 1 day or 2 weeks - it continues to pop out every 1-2 minutes.

This is very annoying because the popup always places itself on top of all windows.

Is this "nag" done on purpose? I mean, of course the reminder is on purpose, but I guess the postponing options should work I guess.

I tried everything - clicking the "Remind me later", clicking on the X to close it, clicking on "Renew now", set it to "Never" - nothing stops the annoying popup.

Yes, I will renew but I would like to do this at my discretion :)

I have the latest 19.2 version on Windows 10 64-bit.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments:
Nexus Subscription Reminder.png
Nexus Subscription Reminder.png [ 15.38 KiB | Viewed 16802 times ]

Post subject: Re: Subscription reminder's "Remind me again in..." doesn't
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:50 pm 

Just wanted to add that the license is working, although expired.

Attachments:
Nexus About.png
Nexus About.png [ 88.18 KiB | Viewed 16800 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

LOL Yeah, that is definitely not supposed to happen. I don't think nagging users to death is a very effective method to get them to renew. :)

Then again, at the moment and after looking again at the code the only thing I can think of that could cause this is something preventing the subscription reminder dialog box from writing to the Windows Registry.

I have something I want you to check right after dismissing that reminder, but I'll send it by PM.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:04 am 

Thank you very much Jorge,

That actually helped solving it! Here is the result.

Initially the data was not there. I waited for the popup, set it to "Never" and hit "Remind me later" (there is no OK button in the dialog :) ).
Refreshed the registry and the value appeared:
Attachment:
Nexus, Value.png
Nexus, Value.png [ 3.11 KiB | Viewed 16791 times ]

This made me realize that I have my locale set to Bulgarian and I need to change the Windows setting that takes care of non-Unicode programs:
Attachment:
Nexus, Current lang for non-Unicode.png
Nexus, Current lang for non-Unicode.png [ 13.17 KiB | Viewed 16791 times ]

Changed it to Bulgarian:
Attachment:
Nexus, New lang for non-Unicode.png
Nexus, New lang for non-Unicode.png [ 7.13 KiB | Viewed 16791 times ]

and restarted.
After that I repeated the process and the value this time is "мар 15 2021" which in English reads "March 15 2021".

Voila, the problem is gone!

Thanks again for your guidance!

PS: maybe you should think about implementing the program in Unicode in the future ;)

Best regards

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

drank wrote:
PS: maybe you should think about implementing the program in Unicode in the future ;)

I wish I could. Unfortunately Microsoft decided to completely abandon the programming language used to create the Winstep applications long before adding Unicode support. And thus I was stuck, you can't simply take a project with thousands or millions of lines and convert it to C++ on any reasonable time frame. :)

Anyway, here is the thing: that value should be of type string as it is, BUT it should also be a long integer number, NOT a descriptive date.

At the moment I have no idea how something that should be a long integer "cstr(clng(date))" is getting converted to a human readable date (unless there is some corruption during compile lol), I'll have to do some testing first. If anything THAT is the REAL bug.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:57 am 

I've run in to this same issue and it's driving me NUTS. I was planning to upgrade in a few weeks when finances are a bit more stable, but now I'm sorely tempted to uninstall. Don't mean that to sound harsh, it's just constantly popping up and nothing has made it go away.

In my case the region settings are set to US English. I do have a non-standard short date format set yyyy-MM-dd. All other settings are standard. What should I check?

Attachments:
LiveUpdate.png
LiveUpdate.png [ 25.58 KiB | Viewed 16628 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're checking the wrong key name - that's for checking updates, not for subscription reminders. I'll send you a PM too.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:25 am 

winstep wrote:
You're checking the wrong key name - that's for checking updates, not for subscription reminders. I'll send you a PM too.

Initial: <Not present>
Changed to: Apr 2 2021

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So just to clarify, after the subscription reminder appearing it got changed to 'Apr 2 2021' or are you saying that you added and changed it yourself (sorry been working many hours already here, my brain is mush)?

Again, if the former, it should be a number, not a date description. I smell a compiler optimization gone wrong.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:01 am 

winstep wrote:
So just to clarify, after the subscription reminder appearing it got changed to 'Apr 2 2021'

This. It was changed/created by the app. I didn't change any entries.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you running Nexus Ultimate or Winstep Xtreme?

I think the issue is the non standard short date format, but, as I stated, that value should be an integer and not a description date string, so don't change anything there yet.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:22 pm 

Winstep Xtreme

I had tried changing the short date back before my initial post, after reading the previous messages above. I had had trouble with Excel macros because of that also. But while changing it back worked for Excel, it didn't for Winstep.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you restart the PC after changing it?

Anyway, I'm going to send you a new license key that will work with the v20.3 beta (but will still trigger the upgrade reminder, so I can make sure the issue is fixed). Once you've got and applied the new key, please enable the 'notify me of beta (test) versions' setting in the Advanced tab of Preferences, then upgrade to the beta of v20.3.

You should still see the reminder every time you restart the Winstep application (that is by design) but if you set it to Never it shouldn't bother you again during that session.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:07 pm 

No. I did not restart when I tried changing the date format back.

I'm going to complicate things slightly. I have not used the code you sent me yet. When I opened preferences I noticed the Upgrade to Xtreme button available and then I looked down and saw: "License key is valid for all upgrades released until February 12, 2021." I didn't remember re-upping in Feb; I may have been infected by Corona (beer) at the time and just clicked through the prompts. :shock:

I checked my emails that I had archived from purchases and found I last purchased Xtreme March 23, 2019 and re-upped to Nexus Ultimate on February 13, 2020. No idea how I upped to Ultimate instead of Xtreme. I'm not sure if it wasn't obvious that I was upping to Nexus instead of Xtreme or If I was very careless when punching buttons. I was kidding about the beers, but I didn't recall updating: must be getting old.

So what I really want to do is bump up to Xtreme from Ultimate. I really don't know how I ended up only re-upping to Ultimate.

Of course, I wouldn't expect that to have much to do with why the dialog keeps popping up every little while when I tell it to go a way for 2 weeks.

Apologies for the confusion. :oops: Please advise on how to proceed. If possible to determine if this is a bug that we can still track down. At the end I would like to go ahead and just up to Xtreme for the $12. But I'm happy to help pursue the bug first.

EDIT: There's also another issue in that clicking through on the Reminder wants me to pay $20 to re-up Xtreme, IIRC, while from the preferences it takes me to the order page to upgrade from Ultimate to Xtreme for $12.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holy camaroni!

So I had a look at your purchase history.

You started by purchasing Nexus Ultimate on Feb 2019. Then a month later you upgraded to Xtreme. So far so good, right?

But then on February of this year (2020) you renewed your Nexus Ultimate subscription?!

It looks to me like you are running both Nexus Ultimate and Winstep Xtreme? Or perhaps NextSTART and Nexus Ultimate, instead of NextSTART and WorkShelf.

What happens when you press CTRL+F11 ? What does the logo in the About tab say?

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next