Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Taskbar replacement, what is this? + short bonus question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:39 pm 

Hi, I love this app and I am thinking about upgrading, but none of the features really appeal to me of the premium version, but I am curious what does Taskbar replacement mean? Also, is there any way to enable notification prompts? So when I get an email or a mention in discord, it shows some kind of prompt?

Thanks, guys

Post subject: Re: Taskbar replacement, what is this? + short bonus questio
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The taskbar replacement is a 'skinnable' replacement of the Windows taskbar. The two biggest advantages is that it is skinnable, so your whole desktop, docks, taskbar and menus will have the same theme, and also that it is a lot more flexible, no comparison.

You also have a Start Menu replacement that you can customize the contents to your little heart's will, you can create your own menus and invoke them from the taskbar as well as docks, you can make horizontal menus sitting at the top (or bottom) of your screen, etc etc...

BUT, give Microsoft's unwillingness to expose many things via an API, the replacement taskbar does have some disadvantages: for instance, you do not get notification 'badges' on the taskbar icons and you do not have jumplist menu options.

On the other hand, I think the notifications you are referring to are not provided by the taskbar itself, but by the Notification bar. That will still work as normal and you can also access it from the replacement taskbar.

Since Winstep Xtreme has a fully functional 30 day trial, I suggest you simply download it and give it a try (and some time to figure out how it works, it's a bit of a power user's tool).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:42 pm 

I'm a big fan of a new taskbar but could the be an option of adding the second layer
So I could put all my working programs on the first than simple click and all the games are showing on the second. Keeping them all on the one panel does take a lot of space

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:00 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The ad in your signature makes it seem like you're a bot account, but the body of your message appears legitimate. With the latter in mind:

If you right-click the NextSTART taskbar, go to Taskbar Settings and then click Unlock Taskbar, you can grab the upper edge of the taskbar and make it two or more rows higher. You can then lock the taskbar again when you've finished resizing.

However, I suspect a Shelf would be a better, more-flexible fit for what you want to do. The taskbar is about currently-running programs (or frequently-run if you use the quick launch feature as I do). A shelf would hold a bunch of programs ready to call into action whenever you wish.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:30 pm 

Sorry about that
thank you for the answer!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]