Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Drag and Drop issue, please helf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:06 pm 

I've been using Winstep Nexus for a week, and I can't drag and drop files, photos or documents just like I did before with the taskbar of window 10. I mean, this is not a drag and drop of an icon. nexus apps or photos, files and dock, or drag and drop to arrange them on the dock. Sorry, my english is not very good, I will give an example to make it easier to understand:

When I'm working with photoshop, my photoshop is running, I minimized it to the taskbar, then I go to file explorer, pick an image and then drag it to the icon of photoshop on the taskbar. Immediately the window will reopen photoshop for me and I can drop the image in and work quickly. And I find this feature very useful

I wanted to do the same thing with the Nexus dock, but couldn't, every time I tried to drag a file or image into the photoshop icon on the dock, it was simply there and nothing happened, of the window. photoshop doesn't open, nor can I put the file into the application by dropping and dragging like it used to be, whether it's with a third-party application or the original microsoft application

I really need help, thank you everyone

Post subject: Re: Drag and Drop issue, please helf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you please post a screenshot of the Dock Entry Properties dialog for the Photoshop item in the dock (right click the item, select 'Dock Entry Properties' from the context menu that pops up)?

Also, find a JPG file in your hard drive then drag & drop that JPG file INTO the Photoshop icon in the dock. Does Photoshop open? Does it open showing that JPG image?

When you hover the image over the icon, what does the cursor look like? Does it show a 'blocked' sign (circle with a line through it) ?

Finally, add a shortcut to the Windows Notepad application to the dock. Now drag a .txt file into the Notepad icon in the dock. Does Notepad open with that text file?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:52 pm 

[img]file:///C:/Users/kytko/Pictures/1.PNG[/img]

I chose a jpg image and dragged it into photoshop, but the photoshop icon only blink blinked and it shows an arrow with a link next to it, doesn't open and there's no image in the software, I do the same thing with another software, adobe premiere. and the same thing happens and the video was not imput to my project

[img]file:///D:/92662049_219805779345670_6385723256472600576_n.jpg[/img]
[img]file:///D:/92745890_234044161047456_8167128347705344000_n.jpg[/img]
[img]file:///C:/Users/kytko/Pictures/3.PNG[/img]

But it work perfectly fine with the txt file and notpad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can't see the images since they are stored locally in your PC.

You need to either upload them somewhere (e.g.;imgur) or add them as an attachment when posting.

Anyway, the fact that dropping a txt file into a notepad shortcut in the dock works makes me believe that the issue is likely with the Adobe suite itself, and not the dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:55 pm 

Just tried this myself. It definitely is just replacing the icon image of the dock / shelf item with what ever you drop on there (i tried a png myself). I think the behavior the OP is expecting is that of what you get on a normal windows 10 taskbar and even the nexus taskbar where you can drag something that an app would normally open over the app and wait a second or two and the app pops up / maximizes at least.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The functionality to quickly customize dock item icons by simply dropping a PNG, ICO or TIF file into the item has been there for ages.

This is an incredible time saver over right clicking an item, selecting Dock Entry Properties, clicking Change Icon, clicking Browse, etc..., per each icon you want to change. With this method you simply open the folder with all your favorite icons/PNG images in Explorer and start happily dragging and dropping away - turns an half an hour task into a 5 minute joy.

Of course, sometimes you might actually want to open that PNG image in whatever graphical application you are dropping the image to (Winstep applications support this, e.g.; if you drop a .txt file into a Notepad shortcut in the dock, that document will be opened in Notepad). If that is the case, you can always press the ALT shift key while dragging the PNG, ICO or TIF file - this will bypass the quick icon customization feature.

If you REALLY do not like this feature, it can be disabled by going to the Behavior tab in Preferences/Dock Properties, clicking the 'More Options' button and enabling the 'Accept drag and drop icon customization only when ALT key is pressed' setting. This will toggle the feature so that you must press the ALT key if your intention is to customize an icon instead of opening that image in whatever application you are dropping it into.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:35 pm 

For me, I was just trying it out. I still use the taskbar for the behavior I am expecting haha. This discovery last night I wish I had known about before. I am leaving it at default. lol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:34 am 

winstep wrote:
The functionality to quickly customize dock item icons by simply dropping a PNG, ICO or TIF file into the item has been there for ages.

This is an incredible time saver over right clicking an item, selecting Dock Entry Properties, clicking Change Icon, clicking Browse, etc..., per each icon you want to change. With this method you simply open the folder with all your favorite icons/PNG images in Explorer and start happily dragging and dropping away - turns an half an hour task into a 5 minute joy.

Of course, sometimes you might actually want to open that PNG image in whatever graphical application you are dropping the image to (Winstep applications support this, e.g.; if you drop a .txt file into a Notepad shortcut in the dock, that document will be opened in Notepad). If that is the case, you can always press the ALT shift key while dragging the PNG, ICO or TIF file - this will bypass the quick icon customization feature.

If you REALLY do not like this feature, it can be disabled by going to the Behavior tab in Preferences/Dock Properties, clicking the 'More Options' button and enabling the 'Accept drag and drop icon customization only when ALT key is pressed' setting. This will toggle the feature so that you must press the ALT key if your intention is to customize an icon instead of opening that image in whatever application you are dropping it into.

This entire post is one of the great features of Winstep. In particular (in green), it's extremely helpful to me when I drop an image into the icon for Paint.Net on the dock and it opens it.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]