Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Notifications
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:29 pm 

Dear Winstep Community,

I am at the last days for my trial für WInstep Extreme and so far I am quite satisfied with the tool (with some minor and mayor exeptions).
I would gladly like to pay for the license but I have one serious concern. Unwandted Notifications. For the trial version I can understand, that i get notifications (even multiple per session) that the trial is ending.
But when I buy the license I absolutely despise the idea of me getting notifications to wether extent the license or that the license expired everytime I start the PC.
So my question is: When I buy myself a License, do I get notifications?
And if so: Can i deactivate them?

Post subject: Re: Notifications
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I assume you have already read the Winstep's upgrade policy HERE, right?

Basically you get one year of free upgrades. Any version you get during that time will be yours forever.

Now, after that year of free upgrades expires, you WILL get an upgrade subscription reminder every time you start the application (or you reboot your PC). Select the appropriate option and this won't appear again until the next time you reboot or restart the application (which normally is only restarted when you reboot your PC, so...).

Functionality is not impacted in any way, shape or form.

Being a user of other applications myself, usually I am very much against bothering the user, but then there is the other side, the business side. I try to be as fair as I can to both Winstep and the users, but if there is one thing I know for sure is this: "away from the eyes, away from the heart/mind".

Without the reminder when the upgrade subscription elapses, most users would simply 'install and forget'. The reminder prompts them to check what is new and acts as a 'gentle nudge' for this purpose. I know this works because AIDA64 (formerly known as Everest) does exactly the same and I can see that effect on myself. :)

Businesses need returning customers to survive long term, and I would say that the reminder is critical for this and that the vast majority of users do not mind it at all - this is confirmed by the fact that over the years I had less than a handful of complaints (you now included).

So, this is, I think, the only aspect I recognize as a MINOR nuisance (again, minor because functionality is NOT impacted and you are NOT constantly being bombarded with reminders either) but one that I won't budge from either because I have no inclination to shoot myself in the foot. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:28 am 

Well that is kind of the profound answer I was looking for. I am also okay with the compromise, of an singular notification. My only concern is, that i got multiple while using the tial version. But I think this is a story better told another time when I am writing reports for possible bugs and wierd behaviors (that I would connect with 4K Monitors or Win10 itself).

Anyways thank you for the answer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Xaardas wrote:
that I would connect with 4K Monitors or Win10 itself

Bet I know what that is about too.

Winstep applications are multi-monitor and high-DPI compatible, but they are not per-monitor high DPI compatible yet (which was something new to Windows 10).

That means all monitors must have the same DPI settings (e.g. all must be 100% DPI or all 125% DPI), otherwise Windows will literally lie to the application about screen resolutions and coordinates, etc

As you can imagine, that wreaks havoc for an application like Winstep. This was Microsoft's way of making per-monitor DPI settings backwards compatible, but they 'forgot' to also implement an 'out' for applications that were not yet compatible with this (other than actually becoming compatible, which is not at all easy to implement).

Excluding UWP apps, I think you can probably count with the fingers of one hand Win32 applications that are already per-monitor high DPI compatible - most were just beginning to add 'high DPI- compatibility when Windows 10 came out.

Anyway, you-re welcome.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]