Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Full Width dock
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:09 pm 

Hi.

I just installed Nexus and would like to know if there's any option for the bar to be extended to the monitor's full witdh.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Full Width dock
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:30 pm 

Unfortunately, I think the answer is no, but not a total no.

Docks are limited in the way they work. The more items that are placed on a dock, the wider the dock expands.

So, if you want a dock to expand the width of the monitor, you're going to have to place more items on the dock. This also depends on the theme you chose for your dock.

The theme I use is called Blue Lights. It's longer than some other themes. One aesthetic downside to that theme is when there are a lot of items on it, the ends shrink to fit and it loses a little of its 1959 Cadillac Series 62 fin-style flair.

Post subject: Re: Full Width dock
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:06 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

As such, the answer is no. But then, why would you want a near empty dock to stretch across the width of the screen anyway?

The width - or height, if the dock is vertical - of the dock depends on a number of factors. The settings of the theme metrics are the first of these, albeit relatively minor. More important is the icon size you select - the larger the icons, the larger the dock gets. A good size on smaller screens is, e.g., 48 pixels, while on larger screens I use 96 pixels myself or even 128 pixels. And of course you can set how far apart you want icons to be in the 'Dock Properties' - however, too large a spacing really looks quite unattractive. The probably most determining factor is the number of icons on the dock. The flip side there is, that if the number of icons exceeds what the dock can accommodate, the dock will "shrink" everything, i.e., resize icons and its own graphics, to fit the width or height of the screen.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]