Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Unable to Drag Modules onto Desktop
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:24 pm 

Hello everyone. I just installed the free edition of Nexus and it seems I'm unable to drag and drop a Nexux module from the dock onto my desktop? ...I searched the forum and couldn't find a solution (if there is one)!

Post subject: Re: Unable to Drag Modules onto Desktop
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:30 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

If you right-click the module on your Dock, do you see a "Show on Desktop" option?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:55 pm 

Nope (unfortunately). Could it be that the free Nexus version doesn't allow placing modules on the desktop? :roll:

Last edited by pvsurfer on Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:48 am 

Here's what I get when right-clicking on one of my dock modules...

Attachments:
ModuleProp.png
ModuleProp.png [ 138.3 KiB | Viewed 12791 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:15 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

pvsurfer wrote:
Nope (unfortunately). Could it be that the free Nexus version doesn't allow placing modules on the desktop? :roll:

Indeed, desktop modules are not supported by the free version. And IIRC, they are only available with Winstep Xtreme.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:36 am 

Thanks for the feedback Nexter (I can live with that).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:43 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
pvsurfer wrote:

Indeed, desktop modules are not supported by the free version. And IIRC, they are only available with Winstep Xtreme.

This is correct. According to the page below, showing the modules on the Desktop is only available in Winstep Xtreme.

https://www.winstep.net/comparisonfaq.asp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:20 pm 

DesertDwarf wrote:
nexter wrote:
pvsurfer wrote:

This is correct. According to the page below, showing the modules on the Desktop is only available in Winstep Xtreme.

https://www.winstep.net/comparisonfaq.asp

Thanks for the confirmation... Case closed. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:27 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The thing with desktop modules is, they tend to take up rather a lot of screen estate and end up getting covered by other apps, or if they are made small (by the skinner, or by down-scaling from the context menu) you might as well have them in a shelf, drawer, or dock in the first place. I quite like to have a nice clock in a corner of the desktop, so I normally use that plus the recycler and the moon module when I'm in Windows. (Under Linux - which I use principally now - I don't use any desklets (the Linux term for desktop modules) but a number of deskbar extensions.) I have the meter modules in a shelf tab, have no use and indeed hate the mail, calendar, and - especially! - the damned fish. If the weather module a) was working properly with full data and b) the data were near enough accurate for my location I might have that on the desktop, but it would seem that at least in its current form it's obsolete, has died, ceased to be, expired, dropped off the perch, it is an ex-module, at least AFAIC. Linux has perfectly decent weather modules that also happen to be reasonably appropriate to my location.

All in all, IMO desktop modules are not really all that useful unless you spend a lot of time staring at your desktop instead of actually doing things.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I actually place them on a secondary monitor dedicated to monitoring stuff, so they never get covered up and are therefore always visible.

Something else you can do is use the 'Show/Hide Desktop Modules' internal command to bring them all to the front of all other windows and then hide them again.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]