Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Objectdock to Nexus Dock. Help please.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:41 pm 

I’ve been using object dock for what seems forever. And on my googling of how to get objectdock to startup faster when my machine boots I’ve discovered winstep. I’ve got it installed now and the fast boot feature is absolutely amazing. Just what I was looking for. It literally starts instantly. It’s perfect.

Love the amount of options there are too. Ive spent the last hour playing around with it but am stuck on two small details that bug me. One of them really bugs me quite a bit and is kinda a breaker for me. And I can’t seem to find a option to get it just perfect and how I’m used to. Wondering if anyone could maybe give me some pointers or let me know if what I’m asking isn’t possible.

First issue is kinda difficult to explain but I’ll do my best. This is the issue I have a difficult time living with. With objectdock I had the dock auto hide on the bottom center of the screen. And if the mouse touched the edge of the screen in the middle, the dock would pop out. I set the pop out delay to instant so it was very snappy. I like it like that. I’ve seemed to get it the same on this nexus dock but one small annoying detail. The nexus dock requires me to touch the bottom edge from above the centre only. I cannot drag the mouse along the bottom of the screen to the middle and activate the dock like I can with object dock. Why this matters is I use a ultra wide monitor and I have developed the habit over the years that sometimes I’ll drag the mouse down to the bottom of the screen then across the bottom of the screen over to the middle area to activate the dock. This doesn’t activate the nexus dock unfortunately. It requires me to bring the cursor back up a bit and down again to activate the dock. I hope this explanation makes sense. Lol.

I guess what I’m asking is there anyway I can make it so the nexus dock will Un hide whenever I touch the middle edge of the screen where the dock is hiding no mater what? Like doesn’t matter which direction the mouse comes from. Top or side? Like with my mouse cursor in the bottom corner and I can drag it across the bottom of the screen and when it gets to the middle it will activate the dock. I did see there was a option to have the entire bottom of the screen activate the dock but I don’t like that at all.

I’ve tried playing around the swipe and bump activation settings but I can’t seem to get like I’m explaining. Is there a setting I’m missing?

And the only other option I was looking for that I can’t seem to find. Is there anyway I can customize the right click menu of a dock icon? I’m not meaning the theme or colors. I’m wanting to remove some of the menu options that show up when you right click a icon. Example. When I right click the recycle bin I only want to see “open recycler” and “empty recycler”. I don’t want to see that whole list of other options. Same goes for my other program icons. Id like to choose what option show up when I right click. I mainly want to get rid of the “container” categories . Can this be edited somehow?

Anyone have any advice or input for my ocd requests? Lol I’d like the buy the ultimate version and get all the other features but if I can’t figure out at least the activate/unhide dock issue I have I’ll have to look for a different option then nexus dock as that small detail breaks it for me unfortunately. Other then these two things it seems like a great upgrade over object dock.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Objectdock to Nexus Dock. Help please.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:05 am 

I worked something out. Dont worry about it :D

Post subject: Re: Objectdock to Nexus Dock. Help please.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad you worked it out. :)

For future reference: one of the biggest issues with docks that activate when you bump a screen edge with the mouse pointer is accidental activations (e.g.; you're going for the close button of a maximized window, you overshoot and bang, the dock pops up above said button now, so you have to wait for it to hide again, etc...). Can be a real pain in the neck, truly infuriating. :)

This is why the Winstep applications added a ton of OPTIONAL features (enabled by default) designed to prevent accidental dock activations: for instance, the dock will only activate if you bump the area where the dock will appear. It will ignore bumps on the area where the buttons of a maximized window would generally be. It will ignore bumps if the mouse moves more sideways than it should, etc...

These settings can be controlled in the Edge Bump Settings dialog (open the Properties panel of any dock or shelf, go to the Behavior tab, click the Activation Settings button then the Edge Bump Settings button).

There is also an alternative activation method that can be used instead of an edge bump: the edge swipe, where the mouse pointer is moved along the edge instead of perpendicular to it, which you also tried.

As for customizing the right click menus, you would need to be running Winstep Xtreme for that. The NextSTART component of Winstep Xtreme allows you to apply different skins to the right click context menus.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]