Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Bit defender and access
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:27 pm 

Hi all,

New here, just registered. So, I read two topics about Bitdefender, and I couldn't find the answer I needed. So, finally decided to make this a new topic, just to get some answers.

So, here is the deal: when I try to start Bitdefender from Nexus v19.2, it gives a Windows 10 warning:
Attachment:
Schermafdruk 2020-07-09 19.10.36.png
Schermafdruk 2020-07-09 19.10.36.png [ 6.78 KiB | Viewed 14305 times ]

In Dutch. It says (translated): Can't get access to the given apparatus, path or file. Possibly you have not the proper access rights.

Been racking my brain. Was the problem with access to Docs directory, has Bitdefender or Malware Bytes, or Windows 10 itself blocked the attempt? I have no clue anymore where to look for the answers. Decided to make a post. Can anybody help?

Or maybe change Windows rights? Looked into that too, just cant seem to change it (dunno how basically).

Casper

Post subject: Re: Bit defender and access
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That looks more like a 32 bit to 64 bit file redirection problem. Normally Winstep applications, being 32 bit, have no problem launching 64 bit applications (even though the 32 bit and 64 bit worlds are actually separate) but sometimes you get one of this.

Can you post a screenshot of the Dock Entry Properties dialog for this item, please? Want to see what path it's pointing to.

Also, try the following: make an actual shortcut to obk.exe on a different folder, and then change the path in the Dock Entry Properties dialog so it points to the actual shortcut (shortcuts end in .lnk) instead of the target file.

Do not simply drag & drop the shortcut as Nexus will automatically resolve it to point to the target and you will be back to square one.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:44 pm 

winstep wrote:
That looks more like a 32 bit to 64 bit file redirection problem. Normally Winstep applications, being 32 bit, have no problem launching 64 bit applications (even though the 32 bit and 64 bit worlds are actually separate) but sometimes you get one of this.

Can you post a screenshot of the Dock Entry Properties dialog for this item, please? Want to see what path it's pointing to.

Also, try the following: make an actual shortcut to obk.exe on a different folder, and then change the path in the Dock Entry Properties dialog so it points to the actual shortcut (shortcuts end in .lnk) instead of the target file.

Do not simply drag & drop the shortcut as Nexus will automatically resolve it to point to the target and you will be back to square one.

First of all: sorry my reply is a lot late, I didn't get an email notifying me that there was a reply posted.

Ok, I'll do my best to reply:

- First: you asked for a screenshot of the Dock Entry Properties dialog. Here it is:

Attachment:
Schermafdruk 2020-07-17 15.56.41.png
Schermafdruk 2020-07-17 15.56.41.png [ 25.89 KiB | Viewed 14253 times ]

To clarify: the filename path is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Bitdefender Security\Bitdefender Safepay.lnk

The path is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Bitdefender Security\

You said: "make an actual shortcut to obk.exe ON a different folder". ON? What do you mean by that?

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Casper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I meant IN, not on, sorry.

Anyway, seems your entry is ALREADY pointing to a shortcut (.lnk file). How did that happen? When you drag & drop a shortcut the shortcut is usually automatically resolved so the entry points to the actual target.

Try finding the actual target (the .exe file) and drag & dropping that to the dock itself.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:23 pm 

Thanx for your reply. I'll answer best as I can.
Quote:
Anyway, seems your entry is ALREADY pointing to a shortcut (.lnk file). How did that happen?

I copied the same shortcut to my Nexus as is in my Windows 10 Start menu. Below is a screenshot that points to the Bitdefender file location in my Start menu:
Attachment:
Schermafdruk 2020-07-18 16.15.40.png
Schermafdruk 2020-07-18 16.15.40.png [ 124.38 KiB | Viewed 14240 times ]

Again, with this result:

Attachment:
Schermafdruk 2020-07-09 19.10.36.png
Schermafdruk 2020-07-09 19.10.36.png [ 6.78 KiB | Viewed 14240 times ]

Then, I tried this:

Quote:
Try finding the actual target (the .exe file) and drag & dropping that to the dock itself.

Did that too. Same result as above.

Any idea's?

Casper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could be that BitDefender itself is preventing access. For instance, shortcuts are automatically resolved when you drop one onto the dock (try it with a shortcut to an unrelated application to see what I mean) and that, according to you, didn't happen either.

Perhaps someone else also using BitDefender can chime in?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:10 pm 

Quote:
Could be that BitDefender itself is preventing access

I looked into that too. Found out that Bitdefender can 'shield off' maps, to prevent unauthorized access. There is a list of maps that are being shielded for unauthorized access.

Below is the list on my PC (Beschermde mappen means Safeguarded maps):
Attachment:
Schermafdruk 2020-07-19 14.01.27.png
Schermafdruk 2020-07-19 14.01.27.png [ 43.83 KiB | Viewed 14217 times ]

In that list I deleted the c:\users\user\documents map, because Bitdefender wants to have writing rights in that map (read that somewhere), so I made it accessable for BD (BitDefender). Still wont work.

Uhm, any new thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:58 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Can we see the Windows Properties of the shortcut (.lnk) file itself? That may have a clue.

I'm sure you know this, but to get there:

1. Right-click the icon in your Start Menu,
  2. Choose More and then Open File Location. (It should pull up that folder with the .lnk file already highlighted.)
  3. Right-click that file, and
  4. Choose Properties.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:09 pm 

DesertDwarf wrote:
Can we see the Windows Properties of the shortcut (.lnk) file itself? That may have a clue.

I'm sure you know this, but to get there:

1. Right-click the icon in your Start Menu,
  2. Choose More and then Open File Location. (It should pull up that folder with the .lnk file already highlighted.)
  3. Right-click that file, and
  4. Choose Properties.

Ok, thanx for your reply.

The lnk file name is: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Bitdefender Security\Bitdefender Safepay.lnk

Here is the properties box:

Attachment:
Schermafdruk 2020-07-20 17.06.51.png
Schermafdruk 2020-07-20 17.06.51.png [ 20.8 KiB | Viewed 14196 times ]

What's next?

Casper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:07 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I just wanted to see if there were command-line arguments after the obk.exe that could somehow be causing a problem, but there aren't.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know either.

Normally, if this was a 32 to 64 bit file re-direction issue, launching the shortcut file instead of the target .exe would solve the problem.

But it doesn't, the shortcut when dropped into the dock does not get resolved properly either, and, at least as far as I know, this issue is limited to BitDefender.

I would thus say the culprit is BitDefender itself intercepting API calls to launch itself from 3rd party applications for some kind of security reason(s). You will have to take this on to the guys who make BitDefender, sorry.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:21 pm 

winstep wrote:
I don't know either.

Normally, if this was a 32 to 64 bit file re-direction issue, launching the shortcut file instead of the target .exe would solve the problem.

But it doesn't, the shortcut when dropped into the dock does not get resolved properly either, and, at least as far as I know, this issue is limited to BitDefender.

I would thus say the culprit is BitDefender itself intercepting API calls to launch itself from 3rd party applications for some kind of security reason(s). You will have to take this on to the guys who make BitDefender, sorry.

Will do. Very much thanks for your help.

Casper

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 12 posts ]