Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: HELP...Winstep Xtreme 19.2 Stability Issues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:22 pm 

I just installed Winstep Xtreme 19.2 and it's making my computer very buggy. My screens are randomly blacking out for a moment and changing resolutions, modules are being moved from one screen to another, shelves are being added after disabling them. Is anyone having stability issues with this software and how can I fix it? Here are my specs....

Using Evolve Theme
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel Core i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz
MSI X99A RAIDER (MS-7885)
32 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 <-- Drivers are current

Post subject: Re: HELP...Winstep Xtreme 19.2 Stability Issues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your problem is not software, it's hardware. Check your monitor cables, make sure they are properly plugged in.

Shelves appear after being disabled, etc, because the Winstep application supports multi-monitor profiles: in one profile a particular shelf/dock can be enabled, but disabled in the other. Likewise for the position of desktop modules.

Multi-monitor profiles are essential for people that, for instance, plug their laptop to an external monitor from time to time, going from a single screen to a dual screen in the process (and vice-versa).

But if one monitor is regularly turning on or off due to some hardware problem - as is your case - then you may get what you are seeing. As the monitor turns off, the alternate profile is applied, and as it turns on...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:11 pm 

Thank you for your advice but it's not a hardware problem. I just got done building the system and the Display Port cables are brand new. The monitors NEVER get shut off and the problem was occurring while I was working on the computer with both monitors on and working properly.

I may have found the issue however. I had my desktop set at 125% to make it easier to read and this seems to have caused an instability issue. I've set it back to 100% and so far so good.

This appears to be a conflict between Xtreme and Windows 10

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:45 am 

Well...that wasn't the problem and the issue is still present. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

MAXXNAS wrote:
This appears to be a conflict between Xtreme and Windows 10

There is no conflict between Winstep Xtreme and Windows 10. Your screens blacking out momentarily usually means loss of signal (or a screen resolution/refresh rate/etc change). Monitors don't just randomly change the screen resolution and Winstep software certainly does not make them do that either.

Try the following: open the Windows Control Panel -> Administrative Tools .> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System

Check for any abnormal entries there.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]