Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How to put today's date in dock as a separate module?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:31 am 

Hi,

I've been using NeXuS for about a week and really liking it -- thanks very much for creating and maintaining this application. :D

Before installing NeXuS, I had configured the Windows System Tray to always show both the date and time. I didn't realize until I installed NeXuS just how frequently I would glance at the tray to check both.

The NeXuS clock module gives a choice for time only or time and date. When enabling the combo, the text is too small to read for the digital clock. But it's very readable when I set it to "Show time only" which makes me think the date would also be readable if added as a separate item to the dock. My work at the computer almost always involves typing, so I don't want to have to interrupt what I'm doing to move the mouse to hover over the clock to get the date, because I much prefer both to always be showing.

With NeXuS installed I'm using "None" for Mouseover Effect in order to reduce animations and thereby increase performance. I've selected the digital clock and not the analog one. I'm retraining my brain to look at the far left of the dock to see the time because I'd rather use the cool NeXuS dock item. As far as I can tell it's not possible to put the module on the far right system tray area. I'm looking for a compromise or work around solution.

What would it take to have three choices -- 1) time only, 2) date and time, and 3) date only -- with the goal that I would have time only as one dock item and date only as a second dock item?

Post subject: Re: How to put today's date in dock as a separate module?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:43 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hi LDT,

1. Go into Preferences (default keyboard shortcut is CTRL+F12, or you can right-click on an empty part of the Taskbar and choose Preferences).
  2. Go to Taskbar tab.
  3. Click Taskbar Settings button.
  4. Click Taskbar Sections button.
  5. Highlight whatever sections you want to move and use the Up and Down buttons on the right to change their position.
    • See screenshots below. The Taskbar Sections have the items in the same order that I'm showing them. The right end of my Taskbar is shown in the last screenshot and shows all the items after "Tasklist" in the Taskbar Sections window.
  6. Go back to the main Preferences window.
  7. Click on the Taskbar tab.
  8. Click on System Tray Settings button.
  9. Make sure time is off and date is on (I'm pointing to the date one in the second screenshot below).
    • You can see the result of everything now in my last screenshot below.
I hope this helps you out!

Attachment:
Nextstart_2020-08-10_23-25-27.png
Nextstart_2020-08-10_23-25-27.png [ 23.69 KiB | Viewed 16861 times ]

Attachment:
Nextstart_2020-08-10_23-33-49.png
Nextstart_2020-08-10_23-33-49.png [ 36.6 KiB | Viewed 16861 times ]

Attachment:
Nextstart_2020-08-10_23-38-51.png
Nextstart_2020-08-10_23-38-51.png [ 17.17 KiB | Viewed 16861 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think he is running the free version of Nexus, not Winstep Xtreme.

The cslendar module would be ideal for what he wants, but it's also one of the modules that is only available in the paid versions (Nexus Ultimate/Winstep Xtreme)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:43 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Oh...

Darn.

Well, maybe it will prompt him to get the paid version so he can get the setup he wants.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:41 pm 

Thanks for the prompt replies and for trying to help, DesertDwarf and Winstep! I am indeed using the free version to try it out. I'll keep your suggested solutions in mind though!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Err, anyone remember my suggestion for a different in-shelf/dock optional digital clock? Nice and clean and readable, no antiquated visual 'effects' that are long out of fashion, etc.?

Here's the thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10874&hilit=+digital+in+shelf+clock

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:14 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I have seriously been tempted to make a simple clock/date module in AutoHotkey or Rainmeter that will overlay the clock module (shown in my post above as the third screenshot). I would make it a z-order top-level window so it would always be above the Winstep clock, but make it click-through so Winsteps clock could still be interacted with.

This way, I can make it look more like it belongs with the theme I'm using and get rid of that horrible shine/reflection thing that Apple made so popular and now looks so dated. It doesn't make sense for one single module out of everything else in my theme to have a reflection/shine feature. Visually, it fits nothing else in the theme I'm using.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:04 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DesertDwarf wrote:
I have seriously been tempted to make a simple clock/date module in AutoHotkey or Rainmeter that will overlay the clock module (shown in my post above as the third screenshot). I would make it a z-order top-level window so it would always be above the Winstep clock, but make it click-through so Winsteps clock could still be interacted with.

This way, I can make it look more like it belongs with the theme I'm using and get rid of that horrible shine/reflection thing that Apple made so popular and now looks so dated. It doesn't make sense for one single module out of everything else in my theme to have a reflection/shine feature. Visually, it fits nothing else in the theme I'm using.

Yes, the defaults are horribly dated and also far from ideal to read, esp. that ghastly reflection one.

So, DD_Ric, why don't we start a campaign for better defaults in clock and calendar? :P

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:38 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

You've already campaigned pretty hard in the past. I don't want to chase Jorge away with negative talk about his work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:33 pm 

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:55 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DesertDwarf wrote:
You've already campaigned pretty hard in the past. I don't want to chase Jorge away with negative talk about his work.

LOL! Yeah, there is that. :)

I wonder why we always seem to get someone trolling in here? Gosh, in the good old days that would have led to a pretty good flame war! ;) (Remarks like the one following your post.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:53 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
I wonder why we always seem to get someone trolling in here? Gosh, in the good old days that would have led to a pretty good flame war! ;) (Remarks like the one following your post.)

Who? Gregory? His account is 15 years old. Maybe he was thanking *me* for my wonderfully detailed and helpful instructions I provided.

I don't know if I've ever thought of "Thank you." as trolling...unless it was sarcastic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:22 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DesertDwarf wrote:
nexter wrote:

Who? Gregory? His account is 15 years old. Maybe he was thanking *me* for my wonderfully detailed and helpful instructions I provided.

I don't know if I've ever thought of "Thank you." as trolling...unless it was sarcastic.

Sarcastic is what it came across as here. (As in 'thank you for trying to put an end to this topic/'campaign'.) Nor is this the first time. Most recently even just a week or two ago, or thereabouts. So what if his a/c is 15 yrs old - doesn't say anything. I've been with the project since its very beginning, and you came in very early as well if memory serves.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guys, be civil. That goes for everyone. :P

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:50 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

:)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next