Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Nexus Dock displays strange characters instead of text
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:59 am 

Dear all,
first of all thanks for this awesome software, it made my switch to Windows from Mac much smoother.

I installed Nexus Dock on my Windows 10 machine, and it worked well for a few days. Today when I started up my machine, it can't display normal text anymore, in several areas:

1) All pop-up menus inside Nexus Dock on right click, appear as some strange random characters, where it normally should give options in regular English.

2) When I'm lucky to open the app preference panel (I don't know where to click, because all pop up menus are strangely displayed), all text items in the preference panel are also displayed in strange characters.

3) I tried to force quit the app and also restart the computer without success.

I'm running an English Windows 10 computer, in Thailand. But I don't have applied any Thai or other Unicode settings to my system, it's all English since I'm German and not Thai. I attach 2 screenshots:

Attachments:
NEXUS_1.jpg
NEXUS_1.jpg [ 332.2 KiB | Viewed 6911 times ]
File comment: Screenshot
NEXUS_4.gif
NEXUS_4.gif [ 193.5 KiB | Viewed 6911 times ]

Post subject: Re: Nexus Dock displays strange characters instead of text
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:39 am 

I just figured out what happened. For some reason the Nexus Dock was set to German. It doesnt make too much sense why it shows strange characters since German is not a character based language that requires special Uni-Code.

Solution: If you manage to find which menu opens the preference panel, on the left side is a pull-down. It doesn't say German when it is shown, but when you click on it, it suddenly says German. Then choose English, and its all back.

Hope this might help someone else in the similar situation, thanks!

Post subject: Re: Nexus Dock displays strange characters instead of text
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, that wasn't German for sure (German would appear in the list as Deutsch). It was actually Russian.

Winstep applications are ANSI, not Unicode, which is why you would see strange characters like that. The initial language is normally chosen based on the currently selected ANSI code page in your system.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]