Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Xtreme not playing nicely with Unicode?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:41 pm 

Hey all!

I'm a trial user on Xtreme, and I'm loving the program and very nearly sold. However, there is one issue I keep running into that is keeping me on the fence, as its severely hampering my ability to use major aspects of the dock system (which was my reason for initially trying Xtreme to begin with). I'm wondering if this is something that is an issue exclusive to the trial, or also something I'd face in the full version of the program— and if the latter, if there is anything I can do to fix it?

This is probably a rather niche issue for users who came to Xtreme or Nexus on Windows 10, but in recent years I've found that a lot of my file organization relies on modern additions to unicode— many of my project folders are labeled and sorted with emoji.

However, Nexus/Xtreme doesn't recognize unicode emoji (otherwise recognized by windows 10) in file paths, and will not allow me to access folders from the docks that contain them. It appears that this is because it replaces the characters in the folder path with "??", which of course then can't be found as a valid path.

I'm really enjoying Xtreme, and this is honestly the only thing that's holding me back from moving from the free trial to a full license. It would just be disappointing to either be unable to use this feature of the program, or have to completely rework my file organization system and rename dozens of folders to get full use.

Can anyone help? Or is modern unicode integration maybe a planned feature? Thanks in advance :)

Attachments:
File comment: Workshelf's path interpretation
WorkShelf_x8qCuJc8rF.png
WorkShelf_x8qCuJc8rF.png [ 24.17 KiB | Viewed 6749 times ]
File comment: Original file path seen in Windows 10
explorer_jFShy48Qvx.png
explorer_jFShy48Qvx.png [ 2.86 KiB | Viewed 6749 times ]

Post subject: Re: Xtreme not playing nicely with Unicode?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately this is a limitation of the actual programming language used for Winstep applications, which uses ANSI and code pages instead of Unicode. Much to my regret, absolutely nothing can be done about it.

Keep in mind some Winstep applications go all the way back to 20 years ago, a time when Win9x was still a thing and did not natively support Unicode.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Xtreme not playing nicely with Unicode?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:43 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Unfortunately this is a limitation of the actual programming language used for Winstep applications, which uses ANSI and code pages instead of Unicode. Much to my regret, absolutely nothing can be done about it.

Keep in mind some Winstep applications go all the way back to 20 years ago, a time when Win9x was still a thing and did not natively support Unicode.

ISTR it all went back more than 20 years ago Jorge, to 1998 in fact when Win98 was just on the horizon I think although some of us already had had NT4 for a while. :)

Disgusting how time flies. ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]