Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Reserving Screen space for Nexus Dock
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:25 pm 

I want to make sure that programs will respect the Nexus dock space and not overlap it. For example when I click maximize (not fullscreen) I want the application window to be flush with the nexus dock so that it does not overlap it (similar to how Mac's taskbar performs).

Post subject: Re: Reserving Screen space for Nexus Dock
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nexus Preferences -> Position tab -> Enable 'Prevent maximized windows from overlapping the dock'

You might also want to disable the auto-hide feature in the Behavior tab if that is turned on.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:09 am 

I´m using that feature for 1 year ago and it works perfect except for 1 thing.
After the computer resume from hibernate or suspend mode the reserving space stop working and I have to reload the workshelf program.

any way to fix this?

Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone else seeing this?

What version of the Nexus dock are you running?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:34 am 

I'm seeing something different: when I join a Zoom session - the zoom session starts in Fullscreen. When this happens I see the same behavior as described - the dock's space is not being reserved. Not even disabling and re-enabling the 'reserve space' setting helps - only quitting the Nexus and starting it again.

I'm on Nexus Ultimate beta 20.4

Note that going to full screen regularly on other programs does not trigger this

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Full screen is not the same as maximized.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:51 pm 

Jorge, not sure if you can do anything about it. I have a couple of PC games. If I leave Xtreme on, the games crash immediately which eventually led me to start using DxWnd which I posted in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11353

I since figured out (after years of playing every once in a while) that keeping it on was causing the crashes. I found that I don't need DxWnd for the new online PC game when it's off. DxWnd still helps me because it allows me to play the old game in the original aspect ratio.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:22 am 

winstep wrote:
Anyone else seeing this?

What version of the Nexus dock are you running?

version 19.2

more info
Is a multimonitor setup (4 monitors)

I have reserve space in 2 monitors, and it happen on both after resume from hibernate/sleep 100% of the times

if I Kill the workshelf app and reload it, everything works fine (As it happens each time it resumes from hibernate, I have done a macro for to do it... ) but thats not an elegant solution :wink:

Thanks you so much

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The screen areas reserved by the Winstep application are actually managed by Windows/Explorer. If Explorer crashes, those reserved screen areas are 'destroyed'.

I have the feeling it is actually Explorer that might be crashing when resuming from hibernate, which would take down the reserved areas with it. The Winstep application is supposed to 'reclaim' those areas when it detects that Explorer has crashed, but on a busy period like when returning from hibernation where everything is being re-loaded from disk at once, all bets are off.

Check the Windows Event Log for any application crashes when resuming from hibernation. Also, are you using any other unusual applications that might interfere with this?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:26 am 

Hi Jorge

I don't think it's WE crashing

Just started my PC this morning and the issue re-occured immediately (after it didn't occur for a couple of weeks)

Checked the logs and there are no crashes anywhere

Also I don't think it's related to WE as even when I open a new WE window - the issue occurs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:57 am 

Well issue has indeed returned

I left my PC on overnight and when I opened Edge the screen space at the bottom was no longer reserved.

As mentioned only restarting the Nexus Ultimate resolve it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:31 am 

Update:

Restarting windows explorer does cause the issue to go away

I wonder how can this entire issue be prevented

Jorge is it possible for Nexus to monitor for when 'reserve screen space' is not enforced and in such a case - soft-restart windows explorer?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nope, but if you download the v20.x beta (Advanced tab in Preferences, enable 'Notify me of beta versions) you can dock & undock shelves, etc, by dragging them with the mouse (instead of being forced to do it via settings or the right click context menu). This is faster and a lot more convenient.

After installing v20.x see if undocking and then docking the shelf again with the mouse makes everything 'slide' into place.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:33 pm 

Hi

I'm already on 20.4 Beta

Undocking and moving the dock around does absolutely nothing for this issue unfortunately..

is there any debugging I can add to collect logs for you?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No.

Guys, I am getting a bit confused because there are different users here apparently talking about different things.

First of all, as I stated above a full screen application/window is NOT the same as a maximized application. Maximized applications will not cover reserved screen areas (such as the Windows taskbar), full screen applications (such as games) DO.

This is by design and why you actually have a difference between maximized and full screen, you don't want, say, to see the Windows taskbar when playing a full screen game.

A full screen application is essentially telling to the rest of the system 'please do not disturb, I am running the show now'. This is why Winstep applications must be able to distinguish between a maximized application and a full screen application - the same way you don't want to see the taskbar when playing a game, you also don't want to be thrown back to the desktop to display a hidden dock if your mouse pointer accidentally bumps a screen edge while getting ready to shoot someone in Fortnite. So, when the Winstep application detects that another application is running in full screen mode, it will automatically ignore all hotkeys, edge bumps, etc...

Now, the reserved screen area is useful when working with MAXIMIZED applications/windows. It depends on a functionality/API provided by Explorer: the Winstep application ASKS Explorer to reserve an area of the screen edge and it's Explorer that actually DOES all the reserving (and also prevents maximized windows from overlapping the reserved areas, etc)...

Now, in rare instances it CAN happen that the docks, shelves, etc, 'unsync' from the actual reserved areas, but in that case what normally would happen is, for instance, a dock or shelf reserving screen space (and respecting reserved screen space) appearing on top of the taskbar instead of above it or overlapping another dock or shelf.

What does not happen is the actual reserved areas being ignored - that would indicate an issue with Explorer, not the Winstep application. Anyway, next time it happens please take BEFORE and AFTER screenshots of your desktop and post them here, so I can understand better what is happening (FYI, pressing the PRT SCR key on your keyboard will capture a screenshot of your desktop into the Windows clipboard, which you can the paste into a paint program).

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next