Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: New - Please help
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:37 pm 

Hello everyone... not the most tech-savvy here, but I loved the Free Nexus Dock and just upgraded to the Nexus Ultimate. Have several things I'm stuck with and thought maybe one of you more advanced users could lend a helping hand.

1. Upgraded to Ultimate a first time and key didn't work so I uninstalled and reinstalled over free version and now the product is finally registered. However, after installing Ultimate over the Free version, I have several folders and can't identify where my Ultimate files are versus the ones installed with the Free version. Should I uninstall both programs, just do a clean install of the Ultimate and then reapply the license key?
2. If I uninstall the Ultimate and reinstall, it asks I want to delete files associated with the system. Not sure if those should be deleted?
3. Is there a need to have both versions of program installed, or does the Ultimate version also contain everything the Free version included?
4. When I click on the Nexus icon on the dock, it brings up the Free version, not Ultimate. How do I fix this?
5. When I click on the Nexus icon on the desktop, it doesn't open anything and it doesn't allow me to place (click & drag) to the dock either.
6. I installed the tile pack but was wondering what this does and how I can access it from the Nexus preferences menu?
7. Can I change the system icons to something other than the options provided by Nexus? In other words, to another png icon I may have saved on my hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any help offered. Sorry for all the questions, but I figured I'd get them all out there at once.

Post subject: Re: New - Please help
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1,2,3: This is exactly why reading the instructions on the email with your license key is so important. From the text in the email with your Nexus Ultimate license key:

-----------------------------------------------------------

How to download and install Nexus Ultimate:

You DO NOT need to uninstall the free version of Nexus if you are
currently running it. Nexus Ultimate will automatically convert
the free version of Nexus into Nexus Ultimate and your settings
will be preserved.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, Nexus free, Nexus Ultimate and Winstep Xtreme can be said to be 'extensions' or 'evolutions' of the same application. That is, Winstep Xtreme > Nexus Ultimate > Nexus free. Nexus Ultimate does everything the free version of Nexus does and more and Winstep Xtreme does everything Nexus Ultimate does and more. Click HERE for a product comparison.

All the different 'flavors' use/share the same files, folders, etc, including the same 'slot' in the Add/Remove Programs applet.

4. The installer for Nexus Ultimate will automatically delete the free version of Nexus (and the shortcut to it in the Windows Desktop) if it finds it and replace it with Nexus Ultimate. If that didn't happen in your case you must have done something unusual such as installing Nexus Ultimate in a folder other than the default folder.

Go to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\

and delete nexus.exe if you find it.

Before you do that you might need to figure out which version you are running. Why do you say clicking the Nexus icon on the dock opens the free version? Do you see the About tab of Nexus free Preferences when you do that? If so, then you are running the free version of Nexus (nexus.exe) and not Nexus Ultimate (nexus-ultimate.exe).

6. Inside the Tile Pack zip file there is a README.txt file. Please read it.

7. By system icons do you mean the system tray icons or something else? If the former, under Nexus Ultimate you have a Tray tab in Preferences. It has a Customize Tray Icons button - click on it to 'replace' the system tray icons displayed in the dock with your own higher resolution versions.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]