Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Digital Clock Module Icon Directory
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:57 pm 

Where can I find the directory that the default clock/calendar module "icons" are in? I see there is an option in clock properties to change the icon, and it gives a preview of the original background for it. I'd like to know where that icon is located so I can do a simple recolor on the calendar portion.

Moreover, does it even work that way? Or will modifying it compromise its functionality?

(PS. Using Winstep Xtreme non-trial, if that makes a difference)

Post subject: Re: Digital Clock Module Icon Directory
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:15 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I am pretty sure it's compiled directly into the program's module(s).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:14 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DesertDwarf wrote:
I am pretty sure it's compiled directly into the program's module(s).

As, indeed, am I. In which case, you'd have to hack into the exe and look at the resources, and when you find the icon copy it out, re-work it, and then overwrite the original in the exe with that. Done that a few times. Usually a piece of cake, though it's advisable to keep to the exact same file size (in terms of bytes).

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
As, indeed, am I. In which case, you'd have to hack into the exe and look at the resources, and when you find the icon copy it out, re-work it, and then overwrite the original in the exe with that. Done that a few times. Usually a piece of cake, though it's advisable to keep to the exact same file size (in terms of bytes).

Don't do that. Winstep applications check the integrity of their own exe files, and will stop running if they are changed in any way (you will get a big red warning dialog).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:55 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Don't do that. Winstep applications check the integrity of their own exe files, and will stop running if they are changed in any way (you will get a big red warning dialog).

Yeah, I know, just forgot to mention it. Not that I'd dream of doing it with Winstep anyway, but if I were to, I'd save a copy of the exe first to drop back in if things went awry. I used to do stuff with what were clearly abandonware apps only. Before Nexus came along I used to do it with the old Icondock - a different exe for each Winstep theme I used. :) (Hell of a job though - over a hundred gfx files to change IIRC!)

Anyway, great to see you back Jorge! :) Hope you're fine.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]