Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Trying to swipe up to bring up Nexus Dock
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:19 am 

Hey guys, new user, like the program so far. I'm trying to use it to more or less replace the taskbar for my Surface Pro. (Windows 10 touch screen tablet) I'm more or less trying to emulate iPadOS' little app shelf, [picture example] and Nexus Dock is honestly exactly that + more out of the box. (With the right theme, anyway.)

I know Nexus Dock isn't made to be used with a touch screen, but there aren't any docks that are. Plus, it seems to work well enough with the right settings...

However, the biggest problem I'm having is with activation. I have it set to hide when in a fullscreen app, but I'd like to be able to use my finger to swipe up from the bottom of the screen to pull it up. (It's docked at the bottom of the screen) I'm not sure how I could emulate this with the settings. I've tried a variety of things, and sometimes I get close, but it's really inconsistent. I would even settle with just tapping the bottom of the screen, but I can't quite get that right either. (I have the taskbar disabled through Nexus Dock, FYI)

The settings menu doesn't do any favors either - everything is in different places and it's hard to know the difference some of them make. I also have no idea what an "edge swipe" is versus an "edge bump." Like, I understand the concept and purpose of them, but I haven't been able to get the edge swipe to be consistent at all, with either mouse or touch.

If anyone could help me out at all - especially if you've used NexusDock with tablets before, that'd be really awesome. There aren't very many docks for Windows, and much fewer with the features I'd like. This one would be perfect if I could just get the activation to be consistent. I've even tried switch to having it activate based on a hot-key, and then, in another program, setting up a gesture to activate that hot-key, but there aren't any gesture programs that are based on the position of the screen. (In this case, swiping up from the bottom of the screen)

I am willing to download other third-party apps and welcome any suggestions.

P.S. Shout out to Microsoft for making a touch OS so bad that we need third-party apps just to make it usable.

Post subject: Re: Trying to swipe up to bring up Nexus Dock
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Apologies for the late reply...

As you correctly guessed it, Nexus was never made with touch screens in mind (mainly because I don't even have a Windows touch screen device to test stuff on, sad as that might be lol).

So, the different edge activation types (bump and swipe) were actually created with mice in mind to help prevent **accidental** dock activations.

This is one of the most annoying problems of docks that hide beyond the screen edge and are typically at the top of the screen: with the edge bump activation method it can be very easy to accidentally activate the dock when you're going for the titlebar of a maximized window (or the close/maximize buttons). The dock pops up when you don't want it to, there's a moment of confusion, you have to manually hide it again or wait for it to hide itself again, you're wasting time and muttering under your breath.

There are already several settings that can help mitigate accidental edge bump activations, and an alternative activation method was also created with the same purpose: the edge SWIPE method.

However, this is intended to be used with a mouse. While in a touch screen you would swipe with your finger in a motion perpendicular to the screen edge (e.g.; up and down assuming a dock at the top of the screen), the edge swipe activation method in Nexus is triggered by swiping the mouse pointer against the and PARALLEL to the screen edge (e.g.; an horizontal motion assuming the dock at the top of the screen).

Of course, eventually I might add a setting so that edge swipes can also be used in a touch screen the way you would expect them to (e.g.; swiping your finger down from the top screen edge) but for that I will have to get my hands on a touch screen first. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]