Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Accidently pinned trash to program
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:48 pm 

Hello, hoping for any help to unpin this. I dont see on option unless its in dock properties and Im missing it. Thanks greatly appreciated!

Attachments:
Desktop Screenshot 2020.11.04 - 10.43.59.92.png
Desktop Screenshot 2020.11.04 - 10.43.59.92.png [ 442.15 KiB | Viewed 7705 times ]

Post subject: Re: Accidently pinned trash to program
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you sure that isn't in the dock section of 'currently running programs' ?

What does the right clock context menu for that icon say?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:56 am 

winstep wrote:
Are you sure that isn't in the dock section of 'currently running programs' ?

What does the right clock context menu for that icon say?

Yes sir you are correct, its currently running window of photoshop. I dragged that trash icon from desktop to the currently running on accident and it stuck. Here is the drop menu from right click. Appreciate the help and awesome program!

EDIT: I think I see what I did now, It changed the photoshop icon to that trash icon. The icon was meant to be deleted off desktop but I goofed. Im trying to drag the photoshop icon from a desktop shortcut back to the program to override it but its showing a red x, not allowing me.

Last EDIT: That drop menu had change icon, all I had to do was change it back lol. Case closed!

Attachments:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 329.86 KiB | Viewed 7695 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahaha love it when users figure it out by themselves. It is actually a useful learning experience. :)

Icons of items in a dock can be quickly customized/changed by simply dropping a ICO, PNG or TIF file onto them.

This is an extremely helpful shortcut to the normal way of changing an icon, which would be right clicking on the item, selecting 'Dock Entry Properties', clicking the Change Icon button, browsing to the icon you want, etc, etc... and then you have to repeat these actions for *each and every icon* in the dock you want to change - I have seen people tediously doing this in YT videos and it really pains me to know how much better they could have had it.

So, to make things A LOT easier and MUCH quicker, when you drop an ICO, PNG or TIF image file INTO the item, the dock assumes you are trying to customize that item's icon.

This becomes even more useful when you are trying to customize A LOT of icons in the dock at the same time: you open the folder containing all your new beautiful icons and then you simply drag & drop each icon image from that folder into the target item in the dock, one by one. A tedious job that would have taken half an hour using the right click method is thus over in a handful of minutes if that long!

Now, there is a 'snag' of course: because Winstep application support full drag & drop functionality, you can also drop a document into an application in the dock to open that document in that particular application. For instance, if you drop a .txt file into a shortcut to Notepad in the dock, Notepad will open displaying the text document you just dropped into it.

So, given the above functionality, naturally you might also want to drop a PNG image file into a shortcut to Photoshop in the dock, so it opens with Photoshop. See the problem now? The dock will think you are trying to customize the icon instead of trying to open that image in Photoshop.

That is what happened when you dropped the trash icon: you can also customize the icons displayed for running applications, see Preferences -> Tasks -> Customize Task Icons. Any icons you customize via drag & drop FOR RUNNING APPLICATIONS in the dock ONLY, end up in that list.

So, anyway, what can you do when you actually want to OPEN a PNG or TIF file in Photoshop? You press the ALT key while dropping the image file into the shortcut to Photoshop in the dock. If the ALT shift key is pressed when you drop an ICO, PNG or TIFF image file, the dock will know you actually want to open that document instead of customizing an icon.

You can toggle this behavior in Dock Properties -> Behavior -> More Options -> Accept drag and drop icon customization only when ALT key is pressed

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:39 pm 

winstep wrote:
Ahaha love it when users figure it out by themselves. It is actually a useful learning experience. :)

Icons of items in a dock can be quickly customized/changed by simply dropping a ICO, PNG or TIF file onto them.

This is an extremely helpful shortcut to the normal way of changing an icon, which would be right clicking on the item, selecting 'Dock Entry Properties', clicking the Change Icon button, browsing to the icon you want, etc, etc... and then you have to repeat these actions for *each and every icon* in the dock you want to change - I have seen people tediously doing this in YT videos and it really pains me to know how much better they could have had it.

So, to make things A LOT easier and MUCH quicker, when you drop an ICO, PNG or TIF image file INTO the item, the dock assumes you are trying to customize that item's icon.

This becomes even more useful when you are trying to customize A LOT of icons in the dock at the same time: you open the folder containing all your new beautiful icons and then you simply drag & drop each icon image from that folder into the target item in the dock, one by one. A tedious job that would have taken half an hour using the right click method is thus over in a handful of minutes if that long!

Now, there is a 'snag' of course: because Winstep application support full drag & drop functionality, you can also drop a document into an application in the dock to open that document in that particular application. For instance, if you drop a .txt file into a shortcut to Notepad in the dock, Notepad will open displaying the text document you just dropped into it.

So, given the above functionality, naturally you might also want to drop a PNG image file into a shortcut to Photoshop in the dock, so it opens with Photoshop. See the problem now? The dock will think you are trying to customize the icon instead of trying to open that image in Photoshop.

That is what happened when you dropped the trash icon: you can also customize the icons displayed for running applications, see Preferences -> Tasks -> Customize Task Icons. Any icons you customize via drag & drop FOR RUNNING APPLICATIONS in the dock ONLY, end up in that list.

So, anyway, what can you do when you actually want to OPEN a PNG or TIF file in Photoshop? You press the ALT key while dropping the image file into the shortcut to Photoshop in the dock. If the ALT shift key is pressed when you drop an ICO, PNG or TIFF image file, the dock will know you actually want to open that document instead of customizing an icon.

You can toggle this behavior in Dock Properties -> Behavior -> More Options -> Accept drag and drop icon customization only when ALT key is pressed

Man well done and thanks for the explaination! I love tinkering and this program just gets deeper and deeper into customization and has given me well more than my monies worth. I only wish I found it sooner!

I must admit Ive changed PCs recently and always used Dock Entry Properties to change icons. I had taken screenshot video of my docks and redid them on the new pc but couldve saved tons of time with the drag! I do have one question, Id love to setup for a build Im working on for my nephew. Is this ok with my single license? Didnt see any info on the purchase page, maybe I missed it after purchasing. Thanks a ton!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]