Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Control Panel links are broken
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:31 pm 

Some of my Shelf links for Control Panel items have stopped working. They generate a "Cannot find the path" error message. The Control Panel itself appears to be functioning correctly. I can open all items from the Control Panel window without error, and the Shelf link to the main Control Panel window works. It's only the individual item links that are affected.

Among the broken links are Devices & Printers, Credential Manager, and System. Most of the others are working.

What's especially frustrating is that there appears to be no way to configure the links to specify the path. Is this correct? For links on the Control Panel tab, the context menu doesn't include a Properties command. I do get that option (plus many others) on the other tabs. Although the target path is not configurable, I can see that it's correct for the Control Panel item links. However, the links still don't work.

This problem seems to have started after I recently updated my Winstep installation. I'm currently running WorkShelf v. 20.10.1413 On Windows 7. I can't swear to the timing, but this is the first time that I've noticed the problem.

Does anyone know something about these icons that I don't?

Post subject: Re: Control Panel links are broken
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nothing was changed in v20.10 regarding the Windows Control Panel items. Not sure if Microsoft is changing anything in Windows 7 now that it is out of support though.

One thing you can try: create a new tab in the Shelf of *Regular* type, name it 'Control Panel', then open the Windows Control Panel dialog in Explorer and drag & drop all the items in it into the new tab. That should work.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:21 pm 

Thank you for the tip, Jorge!

I've managed to create a working "Control Panel" tab after some effort. I suspect you're right that the wonky behavior is not a Winstep issue but the reality of sticking with Windows 7.

Icons that weren't working on the "Control Panel" tab are working on the new "Regular" tab after I dragged them there from Windows Explorer. Annoyingly, in Explorer, I can't drag multiple icons — or select them; so it was a slow process.

One item that threw me was "Notification Area Icons." But this one has simply been renamed: It's now "Taskbar Notification Icons."

Oddly, some icons that appear on the "Control Panel" tab do not appear in my system "All Control Panel Items" window. They might be Windows 10-only functions. However, some of them do work for me. Here's the rundown:

Working:

Biometrics
Text to Speech
Connect To

Not working:

Infrared
Network Map
Windows Slideshow

I was able to keep the working icons by dragging them from the old tab to the new tab, where they continue to work.

A final note, FWIW, about the tab heading display. After I got everything fixed, I deleted the original "Control Panel" tab and renamed the new tab. But the text labels on some tabs were no longer fully displayed. The tabs, which were set to "Centered," were now squeezed together more than originally, and this cut off some text. I was able to fix this by resetting the tab alignment to "Full Width" and then reverting it to "Centered."

Thanks again for the help!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ticotico wrote:
After I got everything fixed, I deleted the original "Control Panel" tab and renamed the new tab. But the text labels on some tabs were no longer fully displayed. The tabs, which were set to "Centered," were now squeezed together more than originally, and this cut off some text. I was able to fix this by

Ah-ah, probably a bona fide bug, I'll look into it and thanks for reporting it to me. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]