Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Install Nexus Dock for Single User Only?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:19 am 

I currently have to use Windows (even though Windows sucks) and I want to make Windows look more like macOS. One thing I want to do is add a macOS-style dock. Nexus Dock is well-reviewed and seems very good. The only problem is that I have to share this PC with 4 other users and I told them that anything I did would be confined to my profile only and wouldn't affect them. Is there a way that I can install Nexus Dock for only my profile?

Post subject: Re: Install Nexus Dock for Single User Only?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, but settings are separate per user (including the 'Run at startup').

As such, just don't run Nexus on the other user profiles.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:17 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
No, but settings are separate per user (including the 'Run at startup').

As such, just don't run Nexus on the other user profiles.

And you could remove the Nexus desktop icon (if you have one) from the All Users Desktop, and from the Start menu.

Actually, this reminds me of something that's been bugging me for a very long while. All in all, as I see it, it would make a whole lot of sense to make the Winstep apps (perhaps inc. the license?) completely 'per user' and move the whole thing from ~/pub/documents/winstep to ~user A/documents/winstep, etc. Certainly would make life a lot easier for me when working with Windows and working on themes, as I use 3 separate user accounts - one as my everyday personal account, another for Winstep theme development, and a third for final testing of themes and screen grabs. Each one uses not only completely different settings etc., but also different versions of themes and it's a real PITA having to have all those themes/versions in one place.

Certainly makes sense to me, especially also from a revenue PoV for you Jorge. What do you think? :)

Oh, and any chance you might consider getting a proper TOR address for the site (or forum at least) so folks like me don't get kicked off every time the relays change? Pretty please and all that? ;) :P

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Certainly makes sense to me, especially also from a revenue PoV for you Jorge. What do you think? :)

Well, quiet frankly, nah.

For instance, Windows itself does not provide a per-user C:\Program Files\

nexter wrote:
Oh, and any chance you might consider getting a proper TOR address for the site (or forum at least) so folks like me don't get kicked off every time the relays change? Pretty please and all that? ;) :P

I don't even have an idea of what you are talking about, Ric, sorry. :D

Never used TOR, never even looked into it, ever.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:05 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Well, quiet frankly, nah.

For instance, Windows itself does not provide a per-user C:\Program Files\

No, but apps can (and do, in many cases) ask whether to install for the current user only or all users, and some are expressly single user only.

It's not the exe etc. that needs to be in a per user folder - just the themes and all the other stuff currently in /user/public/documents/Winstep/ instead going to each user's /home folder. Having to identify backup files with a prefix for all three user accounts is making a mess of things and making it pretty long-winded to find a particular backup (esp. as I - belts and braces - tend to keep all backups for a year (before archiving them), and it makes the themes list very long indeed.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Oh dear. :) Well Jorge, Tor Browser is basically a modified version of Firefox that connects exclusively through the TOR (The Onion Relay) network and uses some additional security measures. Going through the TOR network means that it effectively hides your real IP, location, etc. by going through first a gateway relay, then an intermediate relay, and then an exit relay. At each stage, everything is encrypted so that each relay only knows the final destination IP, and all that the destination then sees is the final relay. Obviously, this has the effect of slowing the connection down a little bit but it's certainly never been a problem here. It also won't generally let you use Flash etc. so video is generally out but who cares - not me. Downloads - mainly larger ones - also tend to bomb out because of the slower speed, but then I use FreeDownloadManager anyway, which is available for both Linux and Windows. Unfortunately, when the relays change, as they often do, some sites - inc. here - tend to throw you out if your logged in. Now to avoid that, special TOR addresses for websites are available which add an additional three relays at the end of the chain and keep stable even when the original relays change. Several sites that I use use this and it works like a charm. :)

You really ought to investigate and consider using Tor Browser yourself Jorge, unless you use a separate PC not connected to your production system for your web activity. Even with the best firewall and AV etc. Windows is never perfectly safe, as everybody well knows. TOR provides a lot of extra security (as well asw privacy) when browsing the web.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:23 am 

winstep wrote:

These articles might help:

[LINKS REMOVED BY REQUEST FROM EXPRESS-VPN]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:14 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

vectornut wrote:
winstep wrote:

These articles might help:

[LINKS REMOVED BY REQUEST FROM EXPRESS-VPN]

Can't get to those links. But the page names seem rather suspect in that they seem to imply some sort of negativity in re: the TOR network. Hardly surprising when TOR is more or less a 'competitor' to VPNs. (Although there are some VPNs that work well in combo with TOR, apparently.) The trouble is also that a lot of peeps erroneously equate TOR with the Dark Web, which is nonsense. IIRC, the TOR network was actually started/sponsored by the FFS and/or Electronic Frontier. Its purpose is to afford users both more security and near total privacy. Definitely worthwhile even just for the latter given how MS, Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook, Ebay, Twitter and so on keep spying on people and recording every bit of data - our data! - they can lay their grubby mits on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:52 am 

I read the articles and they do not imply Tor is bad. Here are some excerpts from the articles.

ARTICLE TITLE: Come to the dark web… it’s a little safer now

Until last week, Tor sites had few security measures. But thanks to a new decision by Internet regulators, domains used within the Tor network will now be recognized as “Special Use Domains,” giving these sites more security and anonymity.

ARTICLE TITLE: Deep Web vs. Dark Web: They’re not the same thing

ARTICLE SUBTITLE: What is the dark web?

"But the dark web isn’t only associated with illegal activity. Whistleblowers, journalists, and activists frequently log on to the dark web in order to stay anonymous and spread the results of their research. WikiLeaks, for example, hosts a site on the dark web. Even Facebook, DuckDuckGo, and ExpressVPN have websites on the dark web."

"There are plenty of reasons for the deep web to exist. Some folks might want to set up websites that aren’t meant for public viewing and, therefore, shouldn’t come up in search results. Your Gmail inbox, for instance, is also part of the deep web because it doesn’t exist as a publicly accessed domain."

ARTICLE SUBTITLE: "What is the difference between the dark web and the deep web?

As we mentioned at the start of this article, the dark web and the deep web are often conflated. The easiest way to understand the difference is that not all deep web is the dark web but all dark web is the deep web.

The deep web is simply the part of the internet that cannot be accessed by search engines. It might be password-protected or exist solely on staging servers. Accessing the deep web doesn’t require a special browser or unique protocols.

The dark web, however, can only be accessed through the Tor browser. The encrypted nature of the browser means everyone trying to access the dark web remains anonymous by default. What’s more, URLs in the dark web are starkly different from regular web addresses."

ARTICLE SUBTITLE: Are the dark web and the deep web illegal and safe?

"Using the Tor browser or trying to access a non-indexed page is perfectly legal. Just because a page cannot be accessed by search engines doesn’t mean it’s trying to promote illicit activity."

"If you plan on accessing the dark web, we recommend that you do so in combination with a VPN to add an additional layer of encryption and anonymity..."

As I've stated before in several posts, I rarely use Tor because it's just too damn slow, lacks the bells and whistles of Firefox, and has serious issues with accessing and losing connection with many sites.

Nexter, I did see that you mentioned something about "special TOR addresses for websites are available which add an additional three relays at the end of the chain..."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
I read the articles and they do not imply Tor is bad. Here are some excerpts from the articles.

ARTICLE TITLE: Come to the dark web… it’s a little safer now

Until last week, Tor sites had few security measures. But thanks to a new decision by Internet regulators, domains used within the Tor network will now be recognized as “Special Use Domains,” giving these sites more security and anonymity.

ARTICLE TITLE: Deep Web vs. Dark Web: They’re not the same thing

ARTICLE SUBTITLE: What is the dark web?

"But the dark web isn’t only associated with illegal activity. Whistleblowers, journalists, and activists frequently log on to the dark web in order to stay anonymous and spread the results of their research. WikiLeaks, for example, hosts a site on the dark web. Even Facebook, DuckDuckGo, and ExpressVPN have websites on the dark web."

"There are plenty of reasons for the deep web to exist. Some folks might want to set up websites that aren’t meant for public viewing and, therefore, shouldn’t come up in search results. Your Gmail inbox, for instance, is also part of the deep web because it doesn’t exist as a publicly accessed domain."

ARTICLE SUBTITLE: "What is the difference between the dark web and the deep web?

As we mentioned at the start of this article, the dark web and the deep web are often conflated. The easiest way to understand the difference is that not all deep web is the dark web but all dark web is the deep web.

The deep web is simply the part of the internet that cannot be accessed by search engines. It might be password-protected or exist solely on staging servers. Accessing the deep web doesn’t require a special browser or unique protocols.

The dark web, however, can only be accessed through the Tor browser. The encrypted nature of the browser means everyone trying to access the dark web remains anonymous by default. What’s more, URLs in the dark web are starkly different from regular web addresses."

ARTICLE SUBTITLE: Are the dark web and the deep web illegal and safe?

"Using the Tor browser or trying to access a non-indexed page is perfectly legal. Just because a page cannot be accessed by search engines doesn’t mean it’s trying to promote illicit activity."

"If you plan on accessing the dark web, we recommend that you do so in combination with a VPN to add an additional layer of encryption and anonymity..."

As I've stated before in several posts, I rarely use Tor because it's just too damn slow, lacks the bells and whistles of Firefox, and has serious issues with accessing and losing connection with many sites.

Nexter, I did see that you mentioned something about "special TOR addresses for websites are available which add an additional three relays at the end of the chain..."

OK, so never judge a book... etc. ;) Sadly, I couldn't access the articles myself - looks like perfectly reasonable stuff if not entirely accurate, but the inaccuracies are minor enough.

Funny, I don't find Tor Browser all that slow - a little slower than FF, but not so it becomes a bother AFAIC. And yes, there are some sites that'll throw you off, especially sites that you have to sign in to, as happens to me here all the time - every time the relays change.

The way around that problem is for the website to have a separate, special TOR address (in a human-readable form) as I mentioned previously, Windy. And indeed, that adds an extra three relays at the end of the chain. All that is required is a separate certificate for that address and of course the address itself (with, of course, the relevant server config). The info can be found somewhere on the TOR or TOR Browser site. A search for 'tor web addresses' should find it. The addresses use the .onion top domain. My encrypted email providers let me log in via a TOR address and indeed encourage its use, ideally in combo with a VPN. Though personally, I don't have much faith in ordinary VPNs - too easily hacked, except for corporate ones for their own use.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:21 am 

When I have time, Ill look into those things. After checking it out, it's possible that I'll use Tor a bit more than now, but I already know that Tor won't be my default browser.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:13 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
When I have time, Ill look into those things. After checking it out, it's possible that I'll use Tor a bit more than now, but I already know that Tor won't be my default browser.

Well, I generally have zero interest in video of any kind - least of all YT - or in streaming audio, I rarely download anything (no real need to - Linux lets me download just about everything I need directly and installs it too), so FF rarely sees the light of LEDs as it were. ;) So, I'm happy using Tor Browser as my default, for the security and privacy it affords, above and beyond that provided by FF, let alone any other browser, and especially anything Chrome or Chromium derived (inc. once, long ago now, good Opera). Any website that doesn't like Tor can go and crawl into a very dark place and stay there AFAIC. :)

Overall, I think it's well past time to give the big tech corps. that like to invade our privacy and compromise our security the big single digit gesture and boycott them by using the perfectly good alternatives that exist. OK, so I can't get away from Windows entirely, alas, but about 90%+ I'm using Linux only on all three systems. In fact on the 'new' one I only run Win 10 in a VM and only when needed and my ancient one only has a small rarely used Win 7 system for a couple of apps that don't run under W10. I use end-to-end encrypted mail, encrypted messaging (Wire - could also do voice and video but of little interest here), DuckDuckGo for my search engine, Tor Browser, encrypted drives inc. system partitions, and I don't use Amazon, Google, Ebay, Fakebook, Twitter etc. or anything Apple connected. Oh and definitely no online banking. Not ever. And no WiFi either - too insecure. (I once ran a test with a friend's tablet - found about 30 strong WiFi signals, and was able succesfully to log into 12!) So, all in all I'm pretty well as secure as can be digitally speaking. :D

And I've been almost totally won over by the whole Free & Open Source Software ethic. Free by no means necessarily means free of cost, and generally app developers tend to ask for donations - and probably do better than selling their apps commercially - and free means you can adapt, change and re-distribute pretty much as you like if you're that way inclined. It also means all software is open to review so no dirty tricks can get past. It's the way things will have to go if people want security and privacy. The corporate sector caught on to all that long ago, and Linux totally dominates the server market and is even making bigger and bigger inroads into the corp. desktop. It's working very nicely for the likes of IBM (Red Hat), Canonical (Ubuntu), and SUSE, generating a nice revenue stream through support contracts. And even mighty Lenovo is now selling desktops and laptops with Ubuntu instead of Windblows. :)

Apologies that this whole thing's gone a bit off-topic. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:19 pm 

I've been extremely busy so that's why I haven't responded for a while. I'm going to start a new thread because I have some questions about the last post.

Please see the Off Topic thread.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:47 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
I've been extremely busy so that's why I haven't responded for a while. I'm going to start a new thread because I have some questions about the last post.

Please see the Off Topic thread.

Done and done. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 13 posts ]