Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Popout Text Too Big .... and Too Small
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:11 am 

Can anyone tell me how to disable pop-out text over the icons on the Nexus dock? The text is way too big and isn't needed. Why have icons if not to identify the command or app? I deleted the Label under Dock Entry Properties which solves part of the problem, but a huge popup still jumps out if you pause or hover over the icons.

I really don't see any need for the information and would like to delete the text, but would settle for minimizing it to something like 8 or 10 point size regular text.

On the flip side, if I r-click on an icon the popup menu is important but is the tiniest of tiny. It is about 4-point and very hard to see. This one isn't as important except setting the dock up, but I'd prefer 8-point if possible.

Attachment:
File comment: background is Word document at 100%
winstep_text.jpg
winstep_text.jpg [ 20.18 KiB | Viewed 5448 times ]

Post subject: Re: Popout Text Too Big .... and Too Small
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:07 am 

Answering myself (so what else is new?) because I guess I figured it out. This is a problem with too big a monitor; or actually too many pixels.

Unless its a physically huge monitor like a TV, once you get to 5k resolutions (5120x2880 pixels per monitor) even "large" icons get too small. This is the icon for Firefox
Attachment:
firefox_ico.jpg
firefox_ico.jpg [ 1.06 KiB | Viewed 5442 times ]
, not much bigger than a smiley :shock:

So giant text can be fixed under
Dock Properties » Appearance » Show Icon Labels on Mouse Over
(or) Label Settings » Text Effect Transparency; set to 100% and uncheck Show Label Background and Draw Outline.

The tiny text can be fixed with
Dock Properties » Appearance » and either
use the Menu Scaling slider (I use 200%) , or
uncheck Disable Menu Scaling at high DPI settings

Also recommend anyone with high DPI to play with the Disable Dock Scaling on High DPI Settings.

Oh, and thanks to the Winstep Team for this software. Really awesome amount of control and ability to customize.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]