Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: nexstart crashes and winshelf below taskbar issue
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:10 pm 

Hello,
I got this error message (see attached image) when I resumed my computer from sleep/screensaver. In addition to this error, winshelf got hidden behind the taskbar (see attached image). I had to quit and restart winxtreme to get these back up and running. This happened a few times so far.

I'm using version 19.02 and latest version of Windows 64-bit.

On a side note, sometimes all of a sudden winshelf (collapsed) gets hidden behind windows i.e., maximized window overlaps and covers winshelf and no matter what I do it does not come to the front and I have to restart the app to get winshelf to occupy the reserved space.

Any help to resolve the issues?

Attachments:
winshelf behind taskbar.jpg
winshelf behind taskbar.jpg [ 6.2 KiB | Viewed 12699 times ]
nexstart error.jpg
nexstart error.jpg [ 44.47 KiB | Viewed 12699 times ]

Post subject: Re: nexstart crashes and winshelf below taskbar issue
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:31 am 

can you let me know how to fix this because this is happening nearly every time I resume my computer from sleep?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:46 pm 

What is the point in using this software if?
(1) It keeps crashing AND
(2) There is no support to resolve it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:48 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I'm not an official Winstep person, but I'll try to help.

Does it still crash if your antivirus is "paused" or has the NextSTART.exe whitelisted?

If you pause the antivirus and reinstall NextSTART, does that make a difference?

Do you have any other window interface enhancements installed?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:29 pm 

Thanks. This issue happens only when I resume my computer from sleep mode. Now, maybe this issue occurs when I sleep my laptop and I see the error window when I resume computer, I don't know. But, either way the screenshot I included contains some error codes and I think Jorge can perhaps quickly look at the codes and troubleshoot the issue.

This was working fine. I did not reinstall it. It does the same with or without antivirus. Since it only happens during sleep/resume.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:52 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

venkum wrote:
Thanks. This issue happens only when I resume my computer from sleep mode. Now, maybe this issue occurs when I sleep my laptop and I see the error window when I resume computer, I don't know. But, either way the screenshot I included contains some error codes and I think Jorge can perhaps quickly look at the codes and troubleshoot the issue.

This was working fine. I did not reinstall it. It does the same with or without antivirus. Since it only happens during sleep/resume.

Some odd things can happen when Windblows goes into and comes out of sleep mode here, too - though not that particular one. All timing related functions are slowed down to a persistent crawl is the most common issue here and always has been, e.g., meter modules, and scrolling text in e.g. weather module (where I have some, although I don't really use that module any more.), NextSTART taskbar getting into a random order and shifting position. I usually just quit Xtreme and restart which seems to return everything to normal.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:43 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Indeed, Windows' sleep and hibernate modes almost always cause some goofiness in behavior for many non-Microsoft programs.

We'll have to wait for Jorge to come back and see if he can decipher this. However, when it comes to sleep mode, I wouldn't hold out hope.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:55 pm 

This has become a nuisance. Nexstart crashes and workshelf gets hidden behind windows after resuming from sleep. I'm forced to exit the app and restart it but, doing it few times daily is ridiculous. Hopefully, Jorge can look into this issue because this issue has reached critical state.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:50 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

venkum wrote:
This has become a nuisance. Nexstart crashes and workshelf gets hidden behind windows after resuming from sleep. I'm forced to exit the app and restart it but, doing it few times daily is ridiculous. Hopefully, Jorge can look into this issue because this issue has reached critical state.

Jorge is now back and may well come in on this himself yet. However, as desertDwarf pointed out, I too wouldn't hold out much hope where Windows sleep mode is concerned - I doubt anything can be done. Sleep mode does mess with other apps too, and I only rarely use it now on my laptop and never on my other machines. If I know I have to be off the system for a while, I just tend to power down the laptop and on the other machines just shut down the VM machine that runs Windows. (My main OS is Linux nowadays.)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

venkum wrote:

I understand your frustration, but if you look at the error dialog in your first post, you will notice that all error codes are 'Unknown'. It's not normal for the Winstep application to crash after resuming from Sleep, or we would have a lot of pissed off laptop users joining this thread.

So this is, more likely than not, system specific, which makes it very difficult if not impossible to debug. Even some Windows new features might be causing problems.

What this **might** mean is that the crashes **might** be being caused by 3rd party software installed on your PC. Some software likes to 'inject' code of its own into the process space of other applications, and if this code is buggy or not well tested it can cause problems for THAT application (since it runs in the application's process space, it's the application that crashes, leaving the user thinking the bug is in the application when in fact the application itself is 100% innocent).

Anyway, have you tried experimenting with your system a bit already instead? Are you using Hybrid Sleep, for instance? Read THIS. Also read THIS, especially the section titled "To disable Hybrid Sleep".

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:30 pm 

I disabled auto sleep, but I always sleep my laptop manually. I never use hybrid sleep or hibernate - Should I use hibernate instead of sleep? I don't see a fast startup option, but should I disable it? Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 11 posts ]