Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Blur in Dock Background
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:08 pm 

I'm wondering if there's any update to the ability to use blur in the dock background? If I enable blur, the right-click context menus have blur, but blur behind a transparent dock doesn't appear to work. Is there a way to enable the same blur being used by context menus for the dock itself?

::Edit:: Moderator's note - Please note that I have moved your two posts into the "General Discussion" under the above new topic title as they are better dealt with here. nexter ::/End Edit::

Post subject: Re: Winstep Wish List
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:14 pm 

Second question, maybe this is already possible but so far I haven't figured out how to get it working.

I have several icons in my dock that are links to "chrome apps." These open up as chrome windows, so if I have tasklist grouping turned on, they appear under the chrome icon in my dock.

Nexus has the ability to recognize tasks by their window title name. With this, I am able to change the icon used on the task thumbnail for each individual chrome app. I'm wondering if this functionality could be extended to allow me to tell Nexus to sort a task under a specific dock entry, even if it is technically a dock entry that belongs to another program.

I'll elaborate on my specific usecase: I've installed iCloud Notes as a Chrome app. I've added a link to the iCloud Notes Chrome app to my Nexus dock as a new dock entry. Clicking this dock entry opens iCloud Notes as expected, but it sorts the task under Chrome as I have Chrome task grouping enabled. Using tasklist settings, I can change the icon used with the thumbnail for iCloud Notes under chrome, but I would love to be able to sort the entire task into a separate dock entry, so clicking the Notes icon again doesn't open a new instance, but opens my already open Notes window.

Thanks for listening!

Post subject: Re: Blur in Dock Background
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:21 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

This doesn't answer your question, but I have grouping turned off because of this. It's probably a limitation of the programming language and/or the Microsoft APIs that prevents him from being able to provide the same interactions that we're used to from the Windows taskbar.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:56 pm 

DesertDwarf wrote:
This doesn't answer your question, but I have grouping turned off because of this. It's probably a limitation of the programming language and/or the Microsoft APIs that prevents him from being able to provide the same interactions that we're used to from the Windows taskbar.

Gotcha. Unfortunately even if I have grouping turned off, and I open my chrome app icon link, it still doesn't file it under the app icon in the dock, it shows it as a separate preview window in the running apps section of the dock.

It seems like if it's possible for Nexus to recognize a window title and assign that window thumbnail a custom icon, it should be possible for winstep to have a function that says "if a window has this title, group it under this particular dock entry"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:56 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

caseyls wrote:
DesertDwarf wrote:

Gotcha. Unfortunately even if I have grouping turned off, and I open my chrome app icon link, it still doesn't file it under the app icon in the dock, it shows it as a separate preview window in the running apps section of the dock.

It seems like if it's possible for Nexus to recognize a window title and assign that window thumbnail a custom icon, it should be possible for winstep to have a function that says "if a window has this title, group it under this particular dock entry"

IIRC, this or a similar issue in connection with Chrome cropped up not too long ago, and also IIRC, the problem lies in the way that Chrome handles its window title notifications to Windows, and/or the way Windows does not pass on the correct info to third party apps. In any case, Chrome is just about the least secure and least private browser around right along with Edge, in case you're not aware of this.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]